Very weak/No spark problem

Discussion in 'Big Bikes' started by willub, Jun 25, 2010.

1. willub

willub Rookie DRN Member

Bike is a 1985 kdx 200. I get a very weak spark (not enough to jump the plug gap and barely shows on a multimeter). I have replaced the stator coils because they were submerged in water when I took the cover off. The two new coils together have a resistance of 205 ohms, is that enough for this bike? I've read it should be between 250 and 370. Like I said they are brand new from ricky stator.

I get 20 ac volts from the red/white wire coming from the stator when I turn the engine over. The wire going to the coil from the CDI is putting out anywhere between 15-30 dc volts. Are these numbers normal? I assumed the coil was bad so I replaced it and the same thing is happening. It makes no sense to me that the coil is receiving 15-30 volts but wont use it.

It seems as though the CDI unit is not working properly, I read how to test the 92-96 cdi and mine is way off from that. Does anyone know how to test an 85 CDI? any help would be great, thanks.
  2. FNG

FNG Rookie DRN Member

Did the coil come with a new plug wire/cap? If not maybe remove the cap and cut the wire to get to some new wire then replace the cap with a new one. Some caps have resistors in them and they can fail.