Sep 3, 2007
asically, I am looking for a mini bike to take to the lake lake with me and such. Maybe do a little jumping, trail riding, etc. Nothing too crazy, I have a 'big' bike for that.

I originally considered a newer XR50, but a friend recently picked up a 72 ST90 and got me hooked. Since then, I have been looking at Z50s and the like.

I found a 71 Arctic Cat Whisker for sale locally. It seems to be in pretty good condition, and has recently been refurbished, but is missing the motor.

I would assume being a Sachs unit, they are pretty hard to find. Depending on condition, how much would something like this be worth? Furthermore, what type of motor could be installed in leiu of the Sachs? Could I use a modern XR50 motor or 'knockoff', or even possibly a Honda GX motor? I work at a local bike shop which used to sell mopeds and mini bikes. We have an in-crate ~50cc Solex motor, and a few similar things, so I have quite a few units to try out.

Just wondering if it is worth the hour or so drive to pick up, or if I need to keep searching? Is getting a fiddy something better for what I'm looking to do?

SHSPVR

Oct 24, 2006
bustedtrigger137 said:
asically, I am looking for a mini bike to take to the lake lake with me and such. Maybe do a little jumping, trail riding, etc. Nothing too crazy, I have a 'big' bike for that.

I originally considered a newer XR50, but a friend recently picked up a 72 ST90 and got me hooked. Since then, I have been looking at Z50s and the like.

I found a 71 Arctic Cat Whisker for sale locally. It seems to be in pretty good condition, and has recently been refurbished, but is missing the motor.

I would assume being a Sachs unit, they are pretty hard to find. Depending on condition, how much would something like this be worth? Furthermore, what type of motor could be installed in leiu of the Sachs? Could I use a modern XR50 motor or 'knockoff', or even possibly a Honda GX motor? I work at a local bike shop which used to sell mopeds and mini bikes. We have an in-crate ~50cc Solex motor, and a few similar things, so I have quite a few units to try out.

Just wondering if it is worth the hour or so drive to pick up, or if I need to keep searching? Is getting a fiddy something better for what I'm looking to do?
You best option is stick with the Sachs engine hit ebay
You really need a Vertical Engines the Horizontal Engines could work but you have cut out your down tube and mod it like SL70/90 which has twin down tube and you 2nd problem is going to be the chain is #41 vs 420 found on 50 thur 125cc Honda motor there for you have to have a custom made rear sprocket $$$ :yikes: .
As for Honda GX motor it should work try check the over all size of you frame then check the motor and used a stock mini bike or go cart chain drive centrifugal clutch

Top Bottom