Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
My girlfriend recently bought a used '00 XR100 that "apparently" was only ridden 8-10 times. When we took it out for its first real ride, it wouldn't warm up without constant messing with the throttle. I put on the choke, kicked it over 6-8 times to get it started, and then it just dies. It won't idle on its own. I think it might be the jetting, but I'm not positive. Before I start wrenching in the wrong spot, can anyone provide some advice?

Squid
'01 TT-R125L

ochster

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 11, 2000
These bikes are slow to warm up. Use the throttle to keep it running while on choke, atleast for a few seconds, until you can take the choke off. You may want to check some obvious things. Make sure the aircleaner is not over oiled. It is also a good idea to drain or clean out the float bowl to clear it of cantaminates. Check and adjust valve clearances, especially if it has not already been done. Make sure you start with a fresh, correct spark plug. Hope this helps.

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Thanks ochster........I'll check all those things you mentioned.

P.S. It's gonna be pretty muddy this weekend in the PacNW......giddy-up!!

Squid
'01 TT-R125L

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
Squid, I bought a '00 for my daughter last year. The thing is horribly cold-blooded! Once it warms up though, it runs great. It took just a little while to get the mixture screw on the carb dialed in. Make sure any adjustment you do is after THOROUGHLY warming up. Good luck!
smile.gif

------------------
Dan
'98 KDX 200
St. Louis, MO

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
My wife's XR is also very cold blooded. It won't start hot or cold without opening the throttle to 1/8 to 1/4 open. Now a question: Is the idle always failing, even when warm? If so, I would look to tight valves being the problem. It is real easy the set the valve clearances on the XR100.

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
Strick.....once the bike is warmed up it will idle by itself, but this bike is just like your wife's.....it won't start without giving it some throttle, even when hot. I guess I'll start to pull it apart to see if I can find the problem.

Squid
'01 TT-R125L

DK

Feb 26, 2000
Go one step richer on the pilot jet. I've done that on every XR I've owned (400, 250, 200, 100, 80) and it makes them much easier to start.

GlennP

Jun 6, 2000
My wife's XR200 and nephew's XR100 do the same thing. Need throttle tweaking to warm up. DK has a good point, I'll try richer pilots, especially on the 200.

Another thing, if the women drop the bikes and flood them pretty good, a hot start kit works wonders. Its eaiser to clean the motor out if they can't get a few strong kicks on it.

Glenn
'00 GasGas XC250

Rod Grove

Feb 21, 2001
My cousin has an older xr100, not sure what year. He put a new top end in it. He has put 4 different carbs on it but if it doesnt start on the first three kicks, you have to change the plug and it will start fine. It had this problem before he rebuilt it. Help please, he is going spark plug poor. The spark looks real perty blue. Any suggestions?
Rod PS: it is very cold natured also, you just have to work the throttle till it warms up.
------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod Grove (edited 04-10-2001).]

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Four different carbs??? I was going to say his jet needle is worn out, but with 4 different carbs, I don't know. Unless they were all old. The smaller Hondas are known for wearing the jet needle and related "seat" so that they'd foul plugs and idling would be next to impossible to adjust for. It may be worth a shot to put a new needle and jet in there. Middle notch is the stock setting.

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F,'01 Yzinger 80,'99 WR400F,'99 XR100
'98 Royal Star TC,'96 XR200

Streetsquid

Jan 13, 2001
After getting some very sound advice on this board, I went to a number of Honda dealers in my area to purchase a larger pilot jet (38 is stock, so I wanted a size 40). None of the dealers in the area can find a size 40 pilot jet for the 2000 XR100. One dealer mentioned that the carb was different in 2000 vs. earlier models and that there are no larger pilot jets available yet. Can anyone coroborate or discount this claim?

P.S. I have compeltely disassembled the carb and cleaned it with carb cleaner and the problem persists.

Squid
'01 TT-R125L

------------------
Squid
'01 TT-R125L

Top Bottom