Washington State ORV funds under attack again

Tod

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2002
Washington State ORV funds under attack again

In 2009 the Washington State Legislature passed legislation to divert all of the offroad vehicle gas tax and ORV permits funds (Nonhighway and Offroad Vehicle Activities account) and gave them to State Parks for 2009 and 2010. None of this money was spent to benefit ORV users.

Now with another budget crisis right around the corner and the Legislature returning to session soon, State Parks has been instructed to propose a budget with no state general fund allocation. To do that State Parks has said that they must have all of your Nonhighway and Offroad Vehicle Account (NOVA) money permanently.

The governor’s proposed budget would give all of your NOVA funds to State Park for 2011 and forever once DNR recreation is merged into State Parks.

It is very important to let Governor and your Legislators know that it is not OK to rip you off again.

You can contact the Governor via this link:

http://www.governor.wa.gov/contact/default.asp

You can find and contact your State Senator and both you State House of Representatives member via this link:

http://www.leg.wa.gov/pages/home.aspx

In addition to emailing them, please consider sending a letter. The Legislature is currently being overwhelmed by email so actual letters will have a much bigger impact.

Here are some example comments to consider. Use them as is or, better yet put the same idea in your own words.

+++++++++++++

Please DO NOT redistribute funds intended for the Non Highway and Offroad Vehicle Activities account AGAIN!

In 2009 the legislature took all of these funds and gave them to State Parks where none of those funds benefited offroad vehicle recreation in any way.

This account was created when offroad vehicle users volunteered to waive their legal right to a fuel tax refund in exchange for a self-directed state account to provide funding for programs that benefited offroad vehicle activities.

These same citizens volunteered to have their license tab fees increased so long as those monies were also placed in the Non Highway and Offroad Vehicle Activities (NOVA) account.

To redirect the funding away from the NOVA account again would be nothing short of stealing from the very same citizens that willingly gave the state their hard earned money.

Can you explain to me why the Legislature finds it acceptable to give the funds I provided to State Parks where I receive zero benefit? Are the people that recreate at State Parks more worthy of the money that I provided to and entrusted the State with than I am?

I sincerely look forward to receiving a reply and hearing your thoughts on this issue.

+++++++++++++++++

Tod Petersen
Political Action Committee Chairman
Washington Off Highway Vehicle Alliance
Email: tod701@aol.com

Top Bottom