Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Debating on which computer to get. Since I am new to the enduro world I could probably race a few more and not having a computer at all probably would not matter.

That being said, one can never have too many gadgets....

My thoughts are:

The Checkmate looks REALLY nice with all the info it presents and the big screeen etc..... The price does not look so nice and finding used ones seems near impossible.

The watchdog price looks good and it seems to provide all the needed info, and considering I am new at this it should be more than adequate for the forseeable future. Plus replaceable screen is a plus. It looks pretty bulletproof anyway.

Thanks for any input.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Hokie,

First question. Does your bike have any type of odometer on it currently ??

Mully

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
This is what I would suggest and I am assuming from your previous posts that you do not have any type of time keeping equipment currently.

If you already have a decent odometer just purchase a route sheet holder (maybe two of them) and a plain clock. Befor spending a lot of $$$$$ learn how to keep time with the basic equipment. Once you have decided that you really like enduros (and can keep basic time ) then spend the $$$ on the good stuff.

I myself have a plain ICO clock and two route sheet holders to go with the mechanical odometer (well I guess I should say on my RMX but not my Gas Gas). The ICO just reads time and has no sensors, it is just a plain bar mount clock. One of the route sheet holders is for the route sheets the club hands out, the one with the turns and mileage etc. The second route sheet holder contains a minute by minute -vs- milage route sheet that I made. It should be noted that here in Indiana we have straight 24 mph enduros so I can use this route sheet at just about every enduro that I go to. So any way, I can look at the odometer, then to "my" route sheet, and then to my clock and tell exactly if I am late or early. I have even done it do long I can look at the clock and then the mileage and tell if I am early or late.

Hope that helps, and I know others will be able to answer your question as to which is better. I will be checking too since my Gas Gas doesn't have any type of odometer.

Mully

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
I had a Watchdog 2000. There was two different screens, one for when your early and one for when your late. I like to just glance down and be able to QUICKLY scan the display. The last thing you need to do is look down and have to actually read something while trying to stay on the trail.

A neat feature the Checkmate has is a checkpoint flag that will flash when you should enter the check. It is keyed off of the time not the milage so if you

I sold the Watchdog and bought an ICO checkmate. It was expensive but it is easy to read and very reliable. I ran into some reliability problems with the thumbswitch on the Watchdog.

No matter what you buy, make sure you adjust your milage at EVERY mile marker. RMEC rules state that a milage marker must be placed at least every 5 miles. Take the time to adjust your milage or your computer will be off. Believe it or not, Del Norte will be more rocky than Snowshoe.

Hope to see you at Del Norte.

Last edited:

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Definitely not going to Del Norte,

Have to finish up Hunter Education that day.
Planning on Rand though.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Originally posted by DKT735
The last thing you need to do is look down and have to actually read something while trying to stay on the trail.

And what happens when the your electronics fail ???????? ;)
Nothing wrong with good old fashion time keeping at that point.

Mully

KDXfile

~SPONSOR~
Dec 6, 1999
Another good unit is the Pacemaker III. Simple display with large numbers with audible alarm. It works good for me since I'm far-sighted.
I've used 1 the last 3 years with good results.

skabeeb

Nov 28, 2001
I bought a Watch Dog and love it! It is inexpensive and the support from the company owner is second to none.

I was ready to buy an ICO Pro Comp (since two of my riding buddies have them and like them). When I called ICO, the lady on the phone told me NOT to buy the Pro Comp and to spend the extra dough and buy the Check Mate. She went on to say that the Pro Comp wasn't good, Blah, Blah, Blah.

She was trying to upsell me and talked right out of doijng business with ICO all together.

The WD works great, is easy to use and when I was ready to use it for the first time in a race and needed help with programming, the owner returned my call from England where he was on business. That to me is customer service!!! He went to the SERA web site, downloaded the course info and walked me through programming step-by-step.

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
forget logic, get the checkmate! Sure it's the most expensive, it's also the best. Everyone I've know that has tried another brand has always come back to ICO. I had the pro-comp...good, but the checkmate tells you everything you could ever need to know.
and if you have a buddy that's good at programming, make him get one, and just beam the program into yours from his ;-)

Hokie

Sponsoring Member
Sep 28, 2000
Originally posted by wsmc831
forget logic, get the checkmate! Sure it's the most expensive, it's also the best. Everyone I've know that has tried another brand has always come back to ICO. I had the pro-comp...good, but the checkmate tells you everything you could ever need to know.
and if you have a buddy that's good at programming, make him get one, and just beam the program into yours from his ;-)

Ahh, the voice of the gadget man!

PS - The programming friend would end up being me!
Computer dork over here......

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
Get the Watchdog! I had a similar incident as Skabeeb. I had a old Pro-comp that went bad and had major go arounds with them about fixing it (PM me if you want details) and then had nothing but an bad salemenship (badmouthing other brands severly) to get me to buy the Checkmate. It caused me to get the Watchdog. Have had no problems yet. It has been through 4 National enduros, including the mudfest's in GA and OH, and about 6 local enduros. Very easy to program and use. Plus everything is billet, no plastic to worry about breaking, and the replaceable lens is cool.

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I have witnessed two expert enduro riders have problems with an ICO at a National enduro and have to rely on a B rider to "assist" in the timekeeping.  The B rider was using a watchdog.  Just my $  .02.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I use an ICO Pro Comp, an ICO Pro III, a roll chart with minute by minute "possibles", a mechanical ODO and a wrist watch.  Somehow the hardware(trophys) still seems to escape me.  :whiner:   Oh well, at least I know how to keep time the old fashioned way.  :thumb:

DKT735

Sponsoring Member
Mar 16, 2000
Mully:
Your right, if my computer has a problem, then I'm in a desprate situation. A typical RMEC time keeping enduro has a number of speed changes, resets and pauses. The promotors try hard to make the timekeeping part a challange for those with computers. Sounds like your at a much higher skill level than I am. For me, easy is best eventhough it isn't the cheapest.

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Don't get me wrong, I do agree the ICO's and Watchdog's make it way easier to keep time. Especially with multiple speed changes. With the multiple speed changes I end up purchasing a "JART" chart if they are available, if not, I end up making my own. An ICO/whatever at this point would be great.

For a novice I just don't feel they need to spend the big bucks untill they are sure Enduros are something they will continue to do, and they improve to the point of needing this type of equipment. For the most part, a novice will really only be able to keep time between sections (ie, roads, connecter trails, etc). Once they hit the check at the beginning of a timed section they will be late from there to the check at the end of the section. At this point what advantage is the ICO/whatever to them???

Just my opinion.

Mully

BTW, Since the Gas Gas doesn't have a mechanical odo, and I have been riding enduros from turn to turn (off the route sheet), I am finally going to purchase some type of enduro puter. Which one ?? I don't know yet. :confused:

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Like anything else in life you get what you pay for. I'm running the Watchdog and it works fine for me, but the Checkmate has some cool bells and whistles. Decide what you're willing to spend.

Now when your pickup wire gets clipped, neither will work and you'll need a mechanical backup. A watch, odometer and roll chart. Sometimes the club will provide a useable chart, but otherwise you can buy a jart chart or make your own.

Here's a link to some roll chart software that works pretty slick if you have the speed change and reset info before hand.
http://www.enduro.4t.com/rollcht.htm

ICO's website lists some Enduro programming info if you aren't pre-entered and don't get a confirmation sheet.

b out

wsmc831

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2002
as expensive as the Checkmate is, it demands a high price for a used one, so if you buy it and don't like enduro's for some reason, you'll get most of your money back.

ever see used one's for sale?

I saw one, and bought it, still only saved 100 dollars or so, but it's worth it.

Last edited:

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
One other factor in favor of the watchdog is that the lastest one (Watchdog 2000) also has a "dual sport" mode that's great for dual sport rides and Turkey runs,in case you do more with your bike than just ride enduros.

Top Bottom