Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
#225 with even less flab, still not looking like the Bowflex guy but I'm working on it :)

(Oh BTW it's a good idea NOT to put your face over the #50 tension rod when your unhooking it :confused: )

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
A day late here but I have to be one of the few that lost weight during thanksgiving. Last week sucked, lost 3 pounds. 177.

angry jim

Sponsoring Member
Aug 4, 2000
5'11''
165 angry lbs
32'' waist 34" length
lots of exercise; eat whatever I want (almost never fast food or soda)lots of ice cream though!

dirty~d~

Resident nudist
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 17, 2002
I'm still 5'5", 125lbs. Looks like I'm upping my Myoplex intake to twice a day.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
6 Foot, 187 lbs.  Nothings changed! :yeehaw: 

:ugg:  After Christmas at home it may be another story... :)

B

biglou

Jim-It's all that anger. Burns off the calories! ;) Maybe that's my problem? Too mellow. Too sedate. OK, no more Mr. Nice Guy! From now on, everyone gets the mean treatment! Stop looking at me! Don't talk to me! I hate everything! Angry Lou, it is! GGRRRrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel thinner already! :)

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Lou - Either that or I'll send you some of Mrs. Woods' notorious meatball soup. I lost seven pounds thanks to that diet. :uh:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by WoodsRider
Lou - Either that or I'll send you some of Mrs. Woods' notorious meatball soup. I lost seven pounds thanks to that diet. :uh:

&nbsp;:eek:&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;I take it Mrs. Woods doesn't ever read DRN?&nbsp; You're a brave man, if she does. :flame:

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
:think: Corey - You should read what she says about me in our xmas letter. :eek:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by WoodsRider
:think: Corey - You should read what she says about me in our xmas letter. :eek:
:) Care to post a copy so we can all see?

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
You're too young to be reading things like that. :p

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I noticed that all you guys are doing the weekly weigh-in, posting your height/weight.

Can somebody "weigh-in" (sorry...) about the percentage of body fat, and what the target amount should be. Two different guys could each weight the same, and be the same height, but one of them could be mostly muscle, the other mostly fat.

I don't think that I really need to lose weight as much as I need to tone. I just got one of those combo body fat and weight scales. It asks you to punch in your height and age, and then it calculates your weight and % body fat. The scale has little metal buttons where your feet go, I presume to do the body fat measurement.

Why does it need to know your height and age to calculate body fat? Is body fat measured this way through some sort of resistance test with the metal buttons? I would think that body fat is body fat, irrespective of age or height. Or is it just using your age, height, and weight against some internal table of data it has for calculating body fat, and the little buttons aren't doing anything. :think:

BTW, I'm 5'9" and 175lbs, and body fat is calculated at 25%. Wife is 5'4", weight a secret, and body fat is 24%. We were both surprised by the body fat %. Offhand we both would have thought that she had a higher % than me. Not that she is fat by any means, but I am the much leaner "looking". Evidently looks don't tell the real story???

Or is a body fat water test (dunk tank) the only accurate way to determine body fat?

Thanks!

B

biglou

SD-Those scales do use resistance to calculate BF%. I've also heard that they are not very accurate. The water tank, or other scientific method, is the only accurate way to tell. I know Rich knows about this.

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by Smit-Dog
Why does it need to know your height and age to calculate body fat?

The weight/body fat scales are bogus in my opinion.&nbsp; There's no way something you step on can even begin to measure body fat accurately.&nbsp; I have no idea what the metal buttons on the scale would do to measure body fat.&nbsp; And at 5'9" and 175, 25% body fat sounds pretty high...unless you're an extremely scrawny guy with alot of flab.&nbsp; The only way to accurately measure body fat is to have a person who knows the proper technique to use calipers to measure body fat.&nbsp; They will take a measurement on the bicep of your prevailing arm, another measurement on your obliques about 2" above your belt line, and a third measurement at the midpoint of your quadracep of your prevailing leg, with your weight resting on the opposite leg.&nbsp; Those measurements are then related to a chart based on male or female to determine a body fat %.

BTW, it would take a lean woman and an overweight man for their bodyfat % to equal each other.&nbsp; Women will have higher bodyfat, even when they look lean.&nbsp; When my wife lifted with me, she was ripped(for a woman)&nbsp;and looked better than I did.&nbsp; I was at 7% bodyfat, and she was at 14%.

The bodyfat scales are just like the "ideal body weight" tables.&nbsp; According to all of the tables, I'm 20 lbs. overweight.&nbsp; And I'm 5'9" and my 32" pants are a tad loose. :silly:

&nbsp;

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for the replies...

The scale is getting returned this weekend. I've seen the caliper technique used, but I would think that even that is not that accurate or consistent. I'd think that the training/technique of the person doing the measurements would affect the results, as well as individual "skin fold" characteristics of people being tested. And then you go against a chart matrix broken down by gender, age, and "averages"... :think:

Even though I sit on my arse 12 hours a day and don't work out, I fortunately don't have a gut. Wear a 34" pant (little loose), but don't have much to grab in the pinch-able areas. :eek: And the wife's in fairly good shape, but after popping out 3 kids, I wouldn't say you could play quarter bounce off her. Not that it wouldn't be fun trying, but that's a whole other thead... :debil:

The water test appears to be the most accurate and consistent. Dunk tank on order! I'll have to talk to my accountant about a medical deductability..... The water has to be heated with jets and pulsing lights to do the BF % test correctly - right? ;)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Obviously a water test would be the scientific approach, but calipers are practical and accurate when used by a trained professional&lt;--that is the key.

&nbsp;

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Some interesting references on the subject

Nafziger NA, Lee SB, Huang SQ. Passive exercise system: effect on
muscle activity, strength, and lean body mass. Arch Phys Med Rehabil
1992 Feb;73(2):184-9.

Kushner RF (1992) Bioelectrical impedance analysis: A review of principles and applications. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 11: 199.

Silver A J, Guillen C P, Kahl M J, Morley J E. Effect of aging on body fat.
J-Am-Geriatr-Soc. 1993; Mar, 41(3): 211-3

Thomas BJ, Cornish BH & Ward LC (1992) Bioelectrical impedance analysis for measurement of body fluid volumes. A review. J. Clin. Eng. 17:505.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
bump

Got thru the holidays and still losing. Weighed in at 181 this morning.
Waisting away to nothing I see! How were you able to slim down with JR. home and Momma cooking all his favorites? That must have been compleate tourture! :) Da and I put away a compleate 3 lb. Roast Beast at Christmas dinner and I only gained one pound while I was home. 188 lbs. here!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom