Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
I agree with the KX ers. Our friend rides a yz 80 and is the same age and size,
(5'-5" & 115#, 12 yrs. old) and is also cramped on that bike. He is moving to the KX and found it to be very smooth and easy to ride. He also was a little scared of the power of a bigger bike, but adjusted very fast and he says he made a good choice. Hope this helps I see you have a lot of opinions out there.Those moderaters know there stuff, they won't steer you wrong.

:p ;)

redrider13

Apr 2, 2002
Well since were on the subject of "loretta lynns",Mike Allessi is riding for Honda! but since thats not what this thread is really about,lets stick to the subject.As for the best bike,i would say that the kx100 would be a good direction to run since your boy is 5'5''.I personally have a cr80r with a big bore kit and flywheel weight and i race enduros.It stays very competitive in my class(A-youth)

Wild Hare

Aug 9, 2001
My boy is 5'4" 100lbs. We've had an XR100, TTR90, CR80E and now the KX85.

The KX fit him great when he was 5.2 but he had a growth spert and now he's up to 5'5". He is cramped on the KX. I put a set of BRP triple clamps on the bike to move the bars up and forward, this helped some. At 100 pounds he's not ready strenght wise for a 125... I'd look at the new YZ85 for your boy, it's got the most room for a taller rider.

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I'm sorry if i offended anyone...in my book they are the slowest(rm80), but it all depends on the rider!

I've ridden one. the frame design is dated, and the handling is sub par. The engine is perfect for hare scrambles and woods riding etc. But I was not really impressed with the overall STOCK package. Its all rider preference

Honda Rippin'

Feb 19, 2001
Soccer13-I have to agree, anyone over 5'4" would be uncomfortable on a KX 100. I'm riding a CR80E and I haven't quite outgrown it, i'm almost there. Once my feet hit the ground flat footed, I'm done with that bike. No sense in riding a bike where you can ride completely flat footed. I'm riding my dad's 250, which is way big for me, but once I'm on it, I don't have any problems. As long as you can touch at least one foot fairly well when you buy the bike, you should have no real trouble if you're just doing normal riding. If you're riding trails, that's a different story. When I bought my 80, I could touch tip-toe on one side. It wasn't a big deal, except for when you're riding on logging roads and have to turn around because of a big tree or something, then it becomes interesting if you don't have a plan already thought out of exactly where to shift your weight. LOL. I layed the CR over a couple times doing that. I think that if you're like 5'5", you should move up to a 125. My dad bought an older YZ 250 that I believe has a seat height of the newer CR's, which is like 36 inches. He set the rear suspension down 1 inch and that really helped and even I can get on it and I'm only 5'2"-5'3". We gotta set the triple clamps down yet so that will help as well. Next year, off with the 80 and a new forthcoming....a 125. Ooohhh, I can feel the power now!

Jun 14, 2005
Id Have To Say

Hey my name is jen and i am 5'2 and i ride a 2005 yz85... which has a very nice power and hits pretty hard , i allso havea kx100, i feal way mor coomfortable on the yz85 , he is 5'5 id say eather go with the yz85 the cr 85 expert all that has is big wheels the same displacment as the cr85 i mean id say sit on them and see what he likes best i mean the kx100 is a good bike and gives a good power band smooth ... the yz85 hits hard and is taller for taller riders , its up to him what he wants ...

jen

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Hey, Jen, check the start date of this thread.

He's probably riding a 450F by now.

;)

twsnow

Jun 5, 2005
Hey I'm 5'5 and i moved from a xr100 to a yz125 it was fine,and i weigh 20 pounds less.If you has the experinace go for a 125 or a kdx200 those are good trail bikes

Top Bottom