Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Saw this video on another board and it just left me shaking my head. Training wheels on a track? I thought I was going to be sick watching this kids head bob around through the rough stuff or when he goes over the bars multiple times because the training wheels catch in a rut. Brings the term mini dad to it's finest level in my mind. :|

<embed src='http://www.brightcove.tv/playerswf' bgcolor='#FFFFFF' flashVars='initVideoId=570483929&servicesURL=http://www.brightcove.tv&viewerSecureGatewayURL=https://www.brightcove.tv&cdnURL=http://admin.brightcove.com&autoStart=false' base='http://admin.brightcove.com' name='bcPlayer' width='486' height='412' allowFullScreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' seamlesstabbing='false' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' swLiveConnect='true' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash'></embed>

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
Yeah thats crazy, I feel bad for the little boy his parents are going to cause him to get hurt.

Last edited:

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
watch him corner at 3:10. im guessing this kid is going to have a whole lot of problems when his dad decides to take off the training wheels... IMO, there shouldn't be a race class for kids this little, let alone one that lets the kids use training wheels...

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
sixds said:
watch him corner at 3:10. im guessing this kid is going to have a whole lot of problems when his dad decides to take off the training wheels....
Yep he has a career of high siding for him to look forward to. I understand why he was all shaken up at the end he was still rebounding from the track.
Absolutely assinine in my opinion altho he does show the potential to twist the throttle and hit the jumps but what a relearning process he will need to really race

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
Yeah pretty sad... at the track i go to there is a little boy on a honda 50 with training wheels but he does not ride the big track he rides in the field and in the grass... at 0:44 how sad...

What is the name of that song? good song :nod:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
He is pretty much riding a 4 wheeler with no suspension. Young kids with bikes set up like that do not belong on a race track. It is for learning out in the flat field, basics and progression.

sixds

Mar 25, 2007
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
He is pretty much riding a 4 wheeler with no suspension. Young kids with bikes set up like that do not belong on a race track. It is for learning out in the flat field, basics and progression.

I think that if kids don't have the coordination and balance to ride a two wheeled machine, they shouldn't be riding one at all.

what speed do those bikes govern out at?

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
WOW that is amazing.................ly SAD! No doubt a dad trying to live through the kid. I can hear him now telling his workmates at McDonald's where he's the assistant to the assistant manager. "Yeeep my boy is only 3 years old and he's ridin' the big track." :| :| :| Cripes the kid could get brain damage or a broken neck from the way his head it bobbin' around! IDIOTS like that make the sport tough on all of us.

The deal I had with my son was no trainning wheels on the dirt bike and he could ride it when he was ready to loose the 1 left on his bicycle. I bent the rule on the bicycle but as soon as he got his feet on the pegs on the PW50 I knew he'd be fine on the pedel powered one which proved up.

OKKX'er

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 10, 2001
Sure looks like the "living through the kid " scenario. If that's the dad with the kid right at first, he hasn't been fit enough to ride hard in some time.

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
We don't have kids, but have discussed the training wheels thing. If they can't ride two wheels then NO dirt bike!! That's our thoughts.
That is completely insane, I don't think the Dad has his head screwed on straight. I can't believe there is even a class for that :| How does he not have whiplash?! Yeah he's going to get hurt...

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
this is just the kind of idiocy that gives us a bad name, (ie injuries).. they spend more time picking these kids off the ground, .. :|

Last edited:

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
Well it's friggin idiots like this that will have uncle sam making it 18 or older to do any off road stuff. Un friggin believable, what is worse, what track or promoter is stupid enough to let training wheels on a big jump track like that?????

I couldn't watch it, shallow end of the gene pool being displayed for dam sure.

Tony, we were talking about in another thread how we all have to come together and be one voice, this display shows exactly why it's so hard.
What would anyone want to bet, if someone walked up and told this dad. Hey, you need to take the kid off this track until he is ready, old enough, and can do it with out training wheels.
Bet that would be a war.

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
wardy said:
What would anyone want to bet, if someone walked up and told this dad. Hey, you need to take the kid off this track until he is ready, old enough, and can do it with out training wheels.
Bet that would be a war.
You bet it would after all his kid is a Professional MX racer!!! Just noticed at the end in addition to his trophy he gets cash payout also- probably supplementing Mom and dads snack food dirts.
In a way it kind of reminds me of the SX class the past few season- Last one still circling the track gets the championship

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Im not sure WHAT this is suppose to teach these kids,.. but it certainly isnt teaching them how to ride a dirtbike.... poor kids,.. their parents dont have a clue.

Apr 30, 2007
Wow...That kid has absolutely NO business being on a motorcycle, not even one with training wheels...

Pretty clear that he doesn't know what the throttle does...

There's not even a mild semblance of control. He can't even hold his own head steady! And the part where they edited out (poorly) him flipping the bike over because he got highcentered and just held it pinned...

The clueless look he gives the camera like "Why am I stopping?"...just wow...

That really does make me pretty livid.

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
I'll bet he's destined for a riding career of spinning donuts in the track parking lot on a quad, breaking the windows on my truck. :bang:

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
Yep... there has been several nasty crashes caused by training wheeled kids at the Hollister Hills kid's track. The are just barely moving and they meander from one side of the track to the other because they haven't grasped the steering idea yet. Just as bad are the babies on quads deal. It makes you want to grab the parents and give them a little 'shaken baby syndrome'.

ysr89

Dec 4, 2007
Kids on big quads drive me nuts. I've been run off the trail by a kid on a big bear who couldn't have been older than 9. I sometimes see young kids on big dirtbikes, but they know how to ride them!

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Funny this came up right now....We just got home from a practice at Sunset Ridge in IL and there was a young girl (my guess no older then 4) all decked out in cute pink moto gear. She was walking all around the grounds when we first got there but as I was watching my son out on the track with the A class practice I heard a very terrified woman screaming STOP and as I turned to see what was going on I saw the pink rider on her PW50 all decked out with training wheels heading downhill towards the track with her mother running full tilt about 30 yards behind her. Lucky for everyone she hit the snowfence and stopped after getting bounced off the bike. I can not imagine what would have happened if there had been no fence or an open gate.
On top of it all MOM was scolding her for not stopping when she told her to. I wish I had been close enough that I could have gotten across the track and told MOM what I thought of her letting the pink rider even remotely close to a track on that contraption. Once my son's session was over I walked around the pits but couldn't find any sign of her and later was told that someone did chew MOM out and she left right away

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I told Tommy that he couldn't get a dirt bike until he rode his bicycle without training wheels. He managed that at 4 1/2 and I got an XR50 the next weekend.

Sixds - That is a CRF50 with a three speed, auto-clutch transmission. In 3rd gear with a light kid on it it will probably do 25 or 30? When Tommy was learning on his I cut most of the shifter off so I could put in MY desired gear but he couldn't shift it. Once he got good enough, I put a full shifter back on.

TJSCOTT1977xr75

Mod Ban
Oct 4, 2007
i dont like training wheels, they dont teach kids to lean, but to steer. steering is not going to work when they take the training wheels off and i imagine its hard to learn not to.

Top Bottom