what are your opinions on the 5 speed (02-04) yz125?

elephant35e

Nov 14, 2012
ok, so i got a 5 speed yz125 (02) recently and i was just wondering what are your opinions on it.

i hear they aren't good. what do you think? what are some advantages compared to the 6 speed? should i have kept waiting to find a good 6 speed deal?

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
if you like it you like it......other peoples opinions arent really relevant. if you feel its not up to par in a certain area for thetype of riding youre doing you can change sprockets to fit your needs. :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
The 125 doesn't put out much hp and has a fairly narrow torque range. With the six speed gearbox it's easier to keep the engine in the torque range. If you are a serious mx racer, it might be important to you. If you use the bike for play riding, it doesn't make much difference. They are both the same exact engine, one just has an extra gear. Like ellandoh said, "if you like it you like it."

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
I just sold a 2002 YZ125.It's a super sweet track bike.I loved how the gearing was.Listen to people that owned one.Great motor,super over rev,shocks where good for stock.I put pro taper bars, Athena top end kit,pro circuit, silencer and pipe!My bike was a fire breather.I just bought a 05 KDX200 mint for a 1000 bucks.Much better low end power for woods riding.My track days are slowing down,being im 36 now!!!Enjoy! good year,good bike!! The gearing is wider per gear,because they eliminated one!

RideHer91

Nov 13, 2012
I currebtly have a 2003 yz125 Complete pro circuit platinum series exhaust, athena 144cc big bore kit and jetted my carb .. Faster than half of my boys that ride 250's.. All im sayin is their incredibly reliable and ride like bats out of hell with little mods.
Its all about your preference.

Top Bottom