What coolant to use in KTM 450 EXC?

yammieman

Jan 5, 2013
hi there. just a quick question or 2 about coolants. Is it ok to use an automotive(car coolant) in my KTM 450 EXC 2004 model? or do i need to use KTM certified coolants or pure motorcycle coolants like Motorex or something?

at the moment the coolant i bought is Tectaloy 90 Plus heavy duty Pre-Mixed 50/50 anti-freeze coolant. It also is fine with Aluminium radiators & engines, i know that much. I provided a link incase others want to know more or try it out.
http://www.tectaloy.com/tectaloy_completefillcoolants_90plus.html
if that coolant is fine to use, then i shall put some in but just wanting to make sure so any help as always, is greatly appreciated :)

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
50/50 mix is fine. I drained mine out and filled up with distilled water. Run it and drained again. Then filled with Engine Ice. Works well.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
In general, conventional antifreeze (ethylene glycol) without silicates is fine for motorcycle use. It's the silicates that cause rapid pump seal wear. I simply go to my local auto parts store and pick up a gallon of Prestone extended life, as it's silicate free. I then mix it with Reverse Osmosis water from my tap and off I go. No need to spend more.

Top Bottom