What do the chest protectors really do?

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
I am thinkinga bout buying a Thor Aftershock protector and i was wondering what the real purpose is. Do they protect against roost? Or roost, handlebars in the stomach and others things? How hard is the plastic?

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
Mine has helped w/al of the above, Roost, handle bars, branches, plus i have a PCS neckbrace attached along w/a CamelBack hydration set-up.. The plastic is very tough, mine has all kinds of scratches and scrapes, rather it than me.. Well worth the $$ imo..
Rick

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
rickyd said:
Mine has helped w/al of the above, Roost, handle bars, branches, plus i have a PCS neckbrace attached along w/a CamelBack hydration set-up.. The plastic is very tough, mine has all kinds of scratches and scrapes, rather it than me.. Well worth the $$ imo..
Rick

Yep. :cool:

Detonator

Jul 7, 2003
My Thor protector has a bit of a spine guard built on the back, and that has saved my bacon more than a few times on rocky dismounts. I've definitely been spared some hospital visits from taking handlebars in the ribs...two nasty spills come to mind. The plastic is very tough, and mine came with spare screws, t-handle for tightening. Take the time to adjust it to your size...I see a lot of taller riders with protectors that look like they were designed by Britney Spears, six inches of exposed midriff.
Another benefit of protectors is that you don't feel any straps digging in if you tend to carry a large backpack (we woods riders tend to carry a lot of water, tools, food, etc.)

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
Thanks. I have your guys exact thoughts, but a friend of mine seems to think dont do any good and that they restrict your movement. I told him he will regret it when he gets a handlebar in the stomach.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
I landed chest first on a footpeg once. I'm glad the chest protector was there to deflect the impact. Othersise, it would've been another trip to the ER.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I've been saved many times by my chest protector...chest, back and shoulders. Good ones don't restrict movement at all. I never ride without it.

JTT

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 2000
I personally like the ones with a suspended shoulder design, as I feel it affords greater shoulder protection in a crash, but that said, I've heard nothing but good things about the Thor one.

billc

Mar 13, 2004
I have a Fox chest protector.It's so light and comfortable I don't even know I'm wearing it. Roost is not a problem, but getting stabbed by stuff does concern me.
A chest protector will not keep you from getting a broken collar bone though!

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
What do the chest protectors really do?

Mine allows me to get back to work on Monday!

I've had tree branches nearly spear me, had tons of gravel thrown on me and that extra protection makes for softer landings when gravity takes over, and my 260 lb body comes crashing down.

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
As long as you never fall down or get roosted or ride in the woods , youll be just fine without one! Mine is full of scratch's and gouges that would have shurley done damage to myself or at least, torn my jersey.
Get one and wear it.
Ride on dude

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Kyleb15 said:
I am thinkinga bout buying a Thor Aftershock

Good choice. I never ride without mine (and the one time I did I cracked a rib).

matt-itude

Jul 6, 2004
I think of the chest protector like i do gloves. it allows me, when i go down, to wory about the real task at hand like saving my neck and head and not the gravel or twigs scratching my back or the variouse protruding items on the bike gouging me. works good for roost too. my best advice on that though is stay infront! get it wear it and enjoy!

Feb 20, 2004
this happened to me the second ride with my first chest protector on....i was ridding my old ttr125L in a gravel pit and i was trying to climb a big hill and there was a log with protruding sticks and and the bike flipped back as i was 3/4s of the way up the hill and i was going a** over tea kettle dow the hill as the bike fallowed me down the hill and i landed on a stick that would have surely harpooned me like a fish then to top off the bike landed on top of me at the bottom of the hill. i wiggled loose of the bike and stick and checked my self out and didn't have a scratch on me chest protector did tho. picked up the bike and gunned it back up the hill and made it to the top ! :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
rickyd said:
Mine has helped w/al of the above, Roost, handle bars, branches, plus i have a PCS neckbrace attached The plastic is very tough, mine has all kinds of scratches and scrapes, rather it than me.. Well worth the $$ imo..
Rick

Kyleb15.

All of the above an more. A few years ago in a GP, I hit a big hole coming on to the street section and endo'ed big time. :yikes: Landed on my head and back and slid on the pavement for about 30 to 40 feet. Got up and finished the race.

I keep that chest protector, (JT) around just to show people what could have happened to me if I hadn't been wearing it. Talk about scratches and scrapes. :ohmy:

The PCS neckbrace is a good idea too.

Just my $ .02

rdrash2

Aug 11, 2004
I have a Thor Aftershock. Took the bars in the chest once, and I was able to laugh it off. You know it's a bad crash when strangers run up to you and ask if your O.K. That would have been a nice hospital visit.

L

LukeRips

I've thanked the lord I had my chest protector on more than once. This past Sunday comes to mind. :laugh:

ps2112

Jan 27, 2003
I just bought a Thor aftershock. The reason for this new purchase is that last weekend I had a very bad crash. From about 8 feet in the air, over the bars, the first thing to hit was my head. I was able to walk away. My chest protector was shattered in the front. I also wear an EVS neck protector and this isn't the first time I've landed on my head and walked away. I believe the neck protector is as important as the helmet. Also, think about the guy in Des Moines who just died from a punctured aorta. Apparently he too a bar to the chest without a protector. It may or may not have helped but wouldn't you want all the help you can get? Just my $.02 worth.

Slimbo238

Nov 17, 2004
They mainly protect against roost, but if you fall they help stop handlbars, footpegs, tires, sticks, sharp rocks, etc... from ripping into you. There is a track in Raymond, Alberta and its built on an old garbage dump, so somtimes glass and bricks and things come up through the dirt and become airborn with roost. I always run a chest protector and handguards there!

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
I seem to remember coming out of a wreck with a perfectly good imprint of a Scott's stabilizer on my chest. You could read the settings on both knobs for weeks.

Top Bottom