What do you call this type of work?

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
The gears on the bike were sticking bad. When we drained the transmission oil there were metal shavings in it and after removing the cover you could see some of the gear teeth were broken. When this is fixed, they (the dealer) had to open the whole motor up to get to everything.

Is this considered a new "bottom end" or is that referring to something else?

thanks.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Bottom end refers to the crankshaft and connecting rod. Top end refers to the piston, cylinder, and cylinder head. Transmission refers to the transmission.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Thanks, for some reason I had it my head that anything internal (other than the piston and rings) was referred to as "bottom end".

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I would call that type of work "expensive".

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
CaptainObvious said:
I would call that type of work "expensive".

lol, yeah luckily I have a business relationship with a dealer who takes care of this for me. I've learned to do top ends but that's about the most complex thing I have time or patience for.

Gordoh

Feb 17, 2007
Grinding gears

HajiWasAPunk said:
The gears on the bike were sticking bad. When we drained the transmission oil there were metal shavings in it and after removing the cover you could see some of the gear teeth were broken. When this is fixed, they (the dealer) had to open the whole motor up to get to everything.

Is this considered a new "bottom end" or is that referring to something else?

thanks.

Hello, i am new here, today i spent a few hours having a read and i must say, this site is PACKED with usefull information, its unbelievable!
Great job guys and girls.

If i recall correctly, Hajiwasapunk, you were saying that you did not use your clutch and asked if there is a downside of not using it.

I appologise if i am wrong about you saying that, as it may have been someone else.

But, As i am new to the sport i was wondering the same thing.

Others said that it didnt really do much damage unless you dont keep your revs high, i was wondering if that is truely the case.

Am i better off just using the clutch, as it is there for a reason, or is this kind of Gear grinding inevitable?

It sounds expensive, thanks :cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Gordoh said:
Hello, i am new here, today i spent a few hours having a read and i must say, this site is PACKED with usefull information, its unbelievable!
Great job guys and girls.

If i recall correctly, Hajiwasapunk, you were saying that you did not use your clutch and asked if there is a downside of not using it.
I appologise if i am wrong about you saying that, as it may have been someone else.
But, As i am new to the sport i was wondering the same thing.
Others said that it didnt really do much damage unless you dont keep your revs high, i was wondering if that is truely the case.
Am i better off just using the clutch, as it is there for a reason, or is this kind of Gear grinding inevitable?
It sounds expensive, thanks :cool:
Manual transmissions ARE designed to shift with the clutch. You can, match RPM/transmission shifts with little to no effect. Personally, I use the clutch to start out and to down shift but I up shift without the clutch more often than with the clutch. I've never experinced any problems but it is not to say that I won't. Good technique in shifting should not cause noticeable damage. Just my $.02.

Top Bottom