What do you take in your fanny pack?

Hman

Apr 11, 2000
I used to carry the big evergency kit, tube, tire irons, wrenches for the common sizes, vise grips and an adjustable, axle wrench, spare plug and wrench, safety wire and zip ties. And the cell phone.

Now with four strokes, the plug and wrench might be overkill, but what else might you suggest? Am I missing anything?

What would you take with you as a basic repair/survival kit to get back home on a long trail ride?

H

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by XRpredator
duct tape and zip ties. You never know . . .
:)

Necsessities!

I know a small First Aid kit is a must! But since I am a 2 smoker rider plugs and a wrench are prerecuisits too. On long rides tubes for both and irons are a must with the CO2 inflator, but for simple loop rides I slim it down( Meaning buddies all over the place.). The essential wrenches and adjustment tools never leave the pack. It's all in the prior planing. Depending on the ride pack as you would encountering the worst case sceanaro because if you don't have it you can't use it.

Just remember the word "Assume," meaning someone else will have it.

For either ride... When you ASSUME....You make an A$$ of you and me.

Good Luck! :thumb:

Last edited:

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I carry the normal tools and such, and I also carry a lighter, matches and a pocket watch. Of course a satellite phone and GPS would be nice as well! :)

Rannoch

Dec 4, 2002
I should start carrying something...

If you ride where I do, puddles get up to the size of small lakes, with no way around. Carry your spark plug wrench, if for nothing other than draining the water out of your bike :D

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
I have a camel back blowfish with a small back pack, I carry a multi tool, a screw driver, both plain and philips, a pair of Vice grip pliers (AKA gear shifter), zip ties, a mailitary first aid kit (just a big bandage) Advill, and 3 CO2s with a small inflaotor. I have some odds and ends in there like a few 10mm (head) bolts and nuts. I carry a two stroke plug even though I ride a thumper, keeps the ride going :) and a shorty 13/16 wrench. Cell phone, lighter, and I ride with a digital watch that has a digital compass built in. IMHO having a tube and irons is over kill, I have ridden most of the day with at least one flat tire before, I would not think of pulling a tire and tube on the trail! I also keep some power bar jell and or a cliff bar incase you bonk or get really stuck, them boots arent made for walking you know? I keep 2 master links on the bike in in the swingarm hole. Thats about it, sounds like alot but most of it is small stuff that just stays in the bag and no where near as heavy as the water in the chamel back :) .

seabee

Jun 22, 2003
Being a mechanic I carry a pretty large tool kit, I find the more stuff I take along for breakdowns, the less stuff seems to break. I just ditched my fanny pack for a Camel Back MULE, because the fanny pack was getting too heavy.
Besides what has already been mentioned, I'd add a couple more things.
1) Cheap GPS (Cell Phones are nice, but reponse is faster with Lat/Long directions)
2) A good first aid kit ( I have a military kit, about 4"x3"x2" that carries alot of stuff)
3) Survival blanket (Helps with shock, and desert nights get cold!)
4) Lock Wire
5) Extra perch and lever ( My wife seems to break one once a day)

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Thanks for this post!
Sitting on the back porch last night watching the rain, saw my trusty camel back laying there and thought of this thread so I picked it up to inventory my equipment, SOB if my lighter wasnt broken! I replaced it and put it in a zip lock bag and then in an old sock before shoving it back in.

scooter1130

Paragon Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 31, 2002
Originally posted by JasonJ
I replaced it and put it in a zip lock bag and then in an old sock before shoving it back in.

I hope you washed that sock first.......

I keep the standard tools in my pack ...screwdriver, pliers, 6/8/10mm sockets with T-handle, spark plug wrench, and an adjustable wrench

Also a leatherman, A small first aid kit, an extra mouth piece for the camelbak, a small container to transfer gas if needed, a cell phone, and a camera.  And I always keep some extra money in there for those quick jumps from the trail to the store or gas station.

And i always have the GPS mounted on the handle bars

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Nothing like singletrack on smack--2 grams heroin, an 8 ball of cocaine. A couple ludes and a fifth of JD to bring me down after the ride.

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Yeah man, see, the cans can be use as the fuel transfer container in a pinch and even be used inside a torn tire side wall to keep the tube in!

"I hope you washed that sock first....... "
Now why on earth would I put a clean sock in to a dirty bag? LOL.

Top Bottom