what does it cost to bore a cylinder?

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I got a bore job done here from a local machine shop for $25 I just needed to have the piston size I wanted to use to make sure it was done correctly. The work was great.

JTurn36178

~SPONSOR~
May 17, 2002
What's most important is that the people doing it, do it correctly. Money is not the object.

What most often happens is, you get it back put it together and the next ring change you find out the thing has too much clearance. Another bore job is in order then.

Ask around. Local racers usually have the best line for machine work as they have regular work done. I have found not many automotive shops even know what a honing machine is. They bore and hone with a drill. Just food for thought.

Good luck,
Jim

Heilbronner

Apr 8, 2002
We charge $45.00 for a steel bore cylinder at the shop I work for. However before you have anyone bore the cylinder, ask them to measure the bore for you while you are there and have them do a visual inspection of the cylinder, looking for cracks, gouges, broken sleeve, etc.
If you happen to purchase a Wiseco piston set, the tolerances on them are not exact we have found out. We measure the piston and adjust accordingly on the boring machine.
Lastly, when you do get this service done, inspect your cylinder before leaving. Ask your shop what cleaning needs to be done,etc. Shop around and remember cheapest is not always better. There are a lot of hacker technicians out there. Good luck.

Top Bottom