what is the best 2 stroke for dual sport??

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
I am getting a dual sport bike and I would like to get a 2-stroke because I have rode them for along time and like the power and how simple they are to work on and how easy they are to start.
I was just wondering what would be the best 2 stroke bike to get.
I am think about a 96 RMX 250. I will be riding 70% offroad. The thing that worrys me is mixing the gas at the gas station in the tank of the bike is there any 2 strokes that mix speratly from the gas tank?? Thanks for the help.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
No, there are no oil injected two stroke dual sports in the USA. A 96 RMX will probably do the trick, otherwise you can look at a KTM, KDX, or Gas Gas enduro bike. Just about any two stroke can be converted with a baja designs kit and lighting coil. Just have to make sure you know the ins and outs of your local licensing regulations.

I have a Gas Gas Pampera 280 which has a plate.

CR_Racer

Oct 25, 1999
well I guess i will just mix a big tank at home. I was also wonder what the top speed is on a 96 RMX 250? also are mx bike slower in top speed then enduros?

Dr.Zaius

Mod Ban
May 7, 2002
About top speed, all you gotta so is get new sprockets, and presto- whatever top speed you want.

And YES, there are oil injected 2 strokes in the US. They are all small bore, though- like the KE100/125, and Yamaha had a 180 I think that was street legal.

Get a CR500, I have seen them on the street before...nucking futs. They will smoke any car on the road, most bikes too! Then it rips some more in the dirt...what a deal! :)

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
yeah, listen to Dr. Zaius and get CR 500. I would love to street legal my CR 500 but I like to keep it dirt only. It would be alot of fun though to smoke some of those street bikes. :D

ammomac

Nov 19, 2001
I've thought about this from time to time myself. My choice would be one of 2, either the CR500 or a KTM380EXC. Either one would be too much fun on the street. ;)

I *think* you can get over-sized tanks for either. The _only_ major drawback is trying to do a longer loop than you can on one tank. I guess you could stick a bottle of premix in a back pack, but...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've had dual sported KDX200's and a KDX250. On long rides, carry a bottle of oil and mix directly in your gas tank - most gas pumps dump in the fuel pretty quick and it seems to mix quite well if you add a little oil, then a little gas. I used rubber maid bottles that were 9 ounces and marked each ounce on the side of the bottle.

I've seen several dual sported CR500's and they seemed to work well. The KDX250 is pretty good also (with some mods to improved dirt performance) as it has a big tank (3.3 per manual but mine was 3.6 gallons stock), a heavy flywheel, slow steering geometry so it is not too twitchy on the road. Plus they are cheap if your experiment doens't work out.

On most bikes if you run a larger front sprocket you will have to do away with the case protector. IMO most of the four strokes are better on the road, but I much prefer my two strokes in the dirt.

DirtnStreet

May 29, 2002
That CR500 is going to surge and be very twitchy at highway speeds. That said I rode more than a few miles on one that wasn't street legal on country roads and while it in no means is a "good" steet bike by definiton, it is a lot of fun! Hauling a bottle of oil to mix at the pump should be no big deal. I liked the idea of marking a bottle for each ounce then you could pretty accurately get your mix right at the pump.

Top Bottom