what kind of oil to use in an XR200

wanabe_mxer2

Jun 10, 2004
i'm just startin out and im buyin an XR200 i was just wonderin whut kind of oil to use and how often to change it . ive been told to mix tranny oil in the gas is this right?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
wanabe_mxer2. ive been told to mix tranny oil in the gas is this right?[/QUOTE said:
:yikes: NO! Absolutely not. :ohmy: :rotfl:

If your XR does not come with a service manual, go buy one.

Read it from cover to cover then read it again. Everything you need to know will be in there.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Your XR is cooled by the air that flows over it and the oil inside, no radiators with coolant helping here so a good quality oil that is kept clean (changed) will be your best bet. As far as brand, pick one that you can obtain easily and meets the specification. I like Amsoil & Motul products but there are plenty others out there. Castrol GTX might not be a bad choice.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
I can't imagine why you would put tranny fluid in the gas.. or are you saying you were told to put regular motor oil (which you may be using in your tranny) into the gas?.... I know some people who use motor oil (non-detergent) as a 2-stroke oil... personally I shell out for the real thing and worry about other things instead... Ol'89er is on the money with his post

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
For 4 stroke gas additive, tranny fluid is not your best choice.

Yes people, folks DO put additives in their 4 stroke gas. Serves as a top cylinder lubricant.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Jaybird said:
Yes people, folks DO put additives in their 4 stroke gas. Serves as a top cylinder lubricant.

As much as I hate to, I gotta agree with Jaybird. :laugh:
Actually, I think wannabe_mxr's friend may have been talking about automatic transmission fluid. Some people do use atf as a top oil. Some even use a little diesel fuel in every other tank of gas for a top oil.

mx'r. Patmans suggestion of using Castrol GTX is a good one. If the bike is new, a 10W 30 will work. If it is old and worn out, try 20W 50. I have used GTX in all of my XR's with very good luck. I'm currently trying to find some 40W 90 for my XR Valdeze speaking of worn out. :yikes: :laugh: :rotfl:

There again, refer to your service manual.

cr80 kid

Mar 15, 2004
oil in gas is a no no

Well first off oil in gas has been used but i really dont recommend it! For the tranny oil get some honda tranny oil(really high viscocity) i use it in my cr80 and my dad uses it in his MX175A it really works good! Your local honda dealer should have it if they dont tell them they are crazy for not stocking a honda oil that is used by even the pros! :cool:

jdbrusch

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2001
Take a trip down to the local Crappy Tire, they carry a product from Shell -Rotella diesel oil,you can get it in either regular or synthetic, both meet all of the requirements for our bikes, its reasonably priced and works well.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
I agree with Patman go with Castrol GTX it is a great oil for air/oil cooled engines. I read an article on BMW's and oil tests and they said that Castrol GTX additive package was very good for aircooled motors because of a high zinc loading. If I can find the article I will post it here.

wanabe_mxer2

Jun 10, 2004
thaks for the advice i guess i miss understood my friend he said thta he thought all u would need is tranny oil, i bought an XR200 on friday and thier gunna send me the owners manual next weekend so i'll have to read it over but thatnk anyways

Top Bottom