gremmen

Aug 10, 2010
I got my boys into Motocross riding last year and this year they will be actually racing for the first time. Since I have never rode dirt bikes, I don't know much about what gear they should have. They are really flying over the jumps now, and scares of heck out of me, and I want to try to provide as much safety equipment as possible.

Boys are 14 yrs & 10 yrs, one rides Suzuki RM125 & other rides Yamaha YZ85. They have pants, jerseys, glove, helmets, EVS neck braces, chest protectors. Should I get them Knee/shin protectors. What about a kidney belt protector ?

Guess I'm a nervous Dad, think some of you may have been there, done that, and can lend a suggestion or two. Thanks

Last edited:

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
Should I get them Knee/shin protectors. What about a kidney belt protector ?
Yes,
I find knee protectors a very good thing to have. Protects from rocks thrown up and your knees when you are thrown down.....
I wear a kidney belt, it helps keep my innards from giggling so much.

and as said, if they don't have riding boots, then that is a must.

Dave

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
I recommend good knee protection (something that can reduce undesired movement), knee injuries can become lifelong troubles. Elbow pads and kidney belts are not necessary, but more protection is seldom a bad thing.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
A good riding school.
I don't know that Gary Bailey runs one anymore, but his was really good. Gary was a past champ, his son David was one incredible rider.
What stood out the most for me (besides making you faster) was that he taught how to handle a bad situation... being prepared and confident when something unexpected comes up.

*Neither me, or either of my sons wore kidney belts... no need for them. Perhaps because we're thin and have no bouncing gut...?

*High quality knee braces are a good thing, but quite pricey.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom