Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I have a 1980 dual shock XL500
and a 1984 CR500
If I read my rules correctly, my XL qualifies as grand prix?. The '84 qualifies as old. right?

------------------
I'll take Swords for 200 Alex...That's "S" Words Sean
My photos

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Here's a starting point. I'm sure some of the Vintage guys will add to this.

The American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association is a member-owned nonprofit association dedicated to enhancing the sport of historic motorcycle racing . AHRMA rules are at http://www.ahrma.org/rulebook/index.html

ACR is a member owned organization dedicated to the sport of vintage motocross and hare scramble off road racing. ACR conducts AMA sanctioned amateur racing events in the North Eastern region of the United States. Their class structure is at http://www.acrmx.com/ordercla.html

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I figure if it is HALF as old as I am its got to be vintage!! ( Check that rule books as was pointed to by the previous guy )

In addition to the rule book check your local branches of that vintage organization. I find from place to place it changes a bit. The local organisers are trying to make things work for whoever is in the area. At least they do here in Colorado.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
It does come down too different areas or sanctioning bodies with different criteria to go by.

For the most part 83-84 is pretty much the cutoff years for what is considered the Evolution classes. This is just before water cooled became the norm as well as long travel suspension.

Antique / Vintage was air cooled and suspension was from the Jurassic era
smile.gif
1974 and earlier.

[This message has been edited by KWJams (edited 01-05-2001).]

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks,

It looks like the '84 doesn't cut it because of the disk brakes. You called it OnAnySunday.
The '80 looks like a definite maybe for the grand prix class.
Thanks for the links Rich

------------------
I'll take The Rapist for 1000 Alex...That's Therapist SeanMy photos

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Although judging by the links that Rich Rohrich posted it appears that your '84 is eligable for the new "vintage eighties" class. If your local tracks host this class???
Race on Papa!!
biggrin.gif

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I live in Rhode Island. Not only do we not have any public lands that we are allowed to ride on. We don't have any tracks period, let alone local ones. Not that I mind. I've never raced anything in my life. I just enjoy going out with my friends and tearing it up.
Although, recently I have been contemplating competing in a hare scramble in the spring...maybe.

------------------
I'll take The Rapist for 1000 Alex...That's Therapist SeanMy photos

DaddGoneMadd

Apr 23, 2000
In district 17 the rules aren't very strickt. Five years old is vintage. To me my '87 is pretty modern, what with liquid cooling, disc brakes, and mono-shock, but my sister-in-law always asks me if the vintage class is for the bikes or the riders!

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
PapaKeith,
If you ever need any info on that XL500 let me know. I have a manual for it sitting here.

[This message has been edited by KWJams (edited 01-07-2001).]

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Thanks KWJams. I've got a Clymer manual, and a copy of the factory service manual.
What I really need for it are the Head, and tail lights.
I took them off so they wouldn't get ruined, then put them in a safe place. Trouble is, the safe place was my parents basement. When I went to look for them this spring, they were gone
frown.gif
Anyone out there have this stuff? Drop me an email.

------------------
I'll take The Rapist for 1000 Alex...That's Therapist Sean My photos

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Papa, if you're racing AHRMA, the XL qualifies as Post Vintage, the new name for these newer bikes, and it would be entered in the Ultima class. The CR500, if it has disc brakes, would be ineligible. Local racing organizations would probably have some classes where either bike is okay. "Vintage" like "lite beer" is an overused and under-defined term. I'm an AHRMA regional coordinator, and can put you in touch with someone in your area if you're interested. Email me at markthomps@juno.com

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

Top Bottom