What the best suspension settings would be for a guy @ 140-145lbs (no gear)

MotoXVisionZ

Nov 30, 2008
Hey guys,

I am looking for some suggestions on setting up my Yamaha 2005 YZ250f. I am a novice rider, getting back on around a year ago and I am having trouble getting the suspension set up for my paticular weight and height. I weigh in at 140-145lbs. with no gear on and stand approx. 6'1".The front forks are /or seem to be really stiff and hard on landings off of the jumps and I am taking the blunt of the impact or so it seems. My Cr125 is a much more plush ride. I have read alot of post on diff. sites and here, but nothing that pertains to my situation just yet. I would greatly appreciate any input on what you guys who know about this stuff would recommend doing to get a softer feel on the front end. The bike is stock with some jetting work done to the carb and had the fork seals replaced approx. 3 to 4 months ago. Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You might want to try and find out what weight oil was used after the seals were replaced. Some faster guys like a heavier oil, which may come off as harsh to your riding style. At your size a stock setup should be functional with clicker tuning. Maybe a bit stiff. Have you checked for proper alignment of the forks? If they're at all tweaked in the triple clamps or at the axle it will cause binding and harsh action, same thing if you have a slightly bent fork tube. I would start by either finding out what oil is in them or swapping out for factory weight to be sure. Then be really careful when reinstalling so everything is properly aligned. If you still have a harsh ride maybe look into softer springs or check for a bent fork tube.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
#1, did you set the sag? I believe you are on the light side of perfect weight for the bike. If your sag measurements do not jive, you need lighter springs, and valving. Someone replaced the fork seals, was the forks properly refilled? Have you properly checked for pressure in your forks? And lastly, that 250f has a lot different handling characteristics than the 125. Everyone should try an f model, but 2 strokes do rule per cubic displacement better in the handling department. Its winter, box up the suspenders and send them to Wilky! http://www.mx-tech.com/

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom