What tire pressures to use on a 1999 YZ250 ??

squale

Nov 10, 2003
I weight about 200lbs with full riding gear, and was wondering what's a good tire pressure to run on both front and rear for riding on some tracks and some trails?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
depends on what the terrain is like and how hard I expect to ride.

If the ground is soft and I want the best traction for climbing hills I will drop the pressure to 12 psi.

Since I ride the desert and many of the trails are over nothing but rock I will often raise the pressure to 16 psi just so I don't pinch a tube if (when) I hit rock or sharp ledge. Its no fun riding a few miles back to camp on a flat.

Rod

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Depends a great deal on the tire and the conditions. I'll run the Maxxis Desert IT 110/100/18 on my KDX anywhere from 8-11 psi, and I run 10-13 psi in the 110/90/19 Maxxis IT on the YZ.

Up front I usually run 2-4 psi higher than the rear, except the Maxxis 6001 on the KDX, which is stupid soft, and I've found I need to go as high as 19 psi to keep it from feeling like a flat in the rocks.

Like I said, depends a lot of the tire and conditions! Some tires are very stiff and can be ran low, others are soft and need more pressure to fight pinch flats and keep from handling like mashed potatoes.

Top Bottom