Whats wrong with Aftermarket Clutch Plates?

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
I am looking to order 2 DP clutch kits for my YZ tommorow but I just noticed some people saying they had problems with aftermarket ones... how come? Anything wrong with the Dp kit?

Rider 007

Feb 10, 2000
Don't know about the DP kits but I've seen Barnett kits that wouldn't disengage completely (drag) or would lurch and grab when the clutch lever was pulled in while in gear.

It appeared the plates were thicker than the OEM ones and didn't allow enough room for them to disengage completely.

:ride:

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I think the tolerances may not be as tight for aftermarket plates but I'm not sure. I know I posted about DP plates earlier today so it's likely my post your referring to so I'll expand on my comments. The DP kit appeared to be a great setup at first but within a few rides 2 plates shattered and the others seem to wear a little faster than oem. DP replaced the kit which I was pretty impressed with since there is no real way to tell how many hours were on that clutch. The replacement DP kit got set aside and hasn't been used yet that I'm aware of. I will most likely stick with oem fibers for my son's 125 this season and consider aftermarket for springs and steel plates if the savings are worthwhile.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
many of the aftermarket plates swell up under use and go all out of whack.

if you are looking to save money, call LASleeve and order the ProX plates- they are OEM, as are the ProX pistons.

DEX

Jun 11, 2003
Ok I took the Dp kit of my list I guess I will stick with OEM and as far as the wrong oil I am getting the Honson Gear Oil for 50% off so I figured it would be better than the old ATF I used to run in the KX.

john stu

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 7, 2002
i too have had barnett clutchs that would not disengage on dirt bikes and street bikes all aftermarket clutch that i tryed (never tryed dp)never seemed to be as smooth or disengage as whell just felt like crap and they usualy have stiffer springs the chutch lasts longer but not my left forarm

gonzo843

May 24, 2004
I had an issue with my EBC. I emailed them and apparently they have known issues with the plates swelling. They are shipping me a new one. I am happy with the customer service but not happy about not being able to ride my bike.

epatt

Aug 18, 2003
I used the cheap Tusk plates from Rockymountainmc in my 2004 YZ250 and they felt and lasted just like the stockers... go figger.

Top Bottom