What's wrong with using a screwdriver like a hammer?

medwaste

Dec 1, 2006
It was almost a perfect day. I got 2 hrs. of riding in early. My new footpegs came in and I put them on myself. So it took over an hour, big deal. But my hubbie kept hovering and finally caught me pounding with a screwdriver. Big No No! What difference does it make how you use a tool? I've punched holes with needle nosed pliers and used a hammer as a crowbar. Who says you have to have the right tool for the right job? I have a shoebox full of tools and my husband has 12 toolboxes... But I put my own pegs on today.

ellandoh

dismount art student
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Aug 29, 2004
just go to the nearest crap-mart and get one of those $4.00 screwdriver sets with like 35 crap screwdrivers. and use like you stole them. i get a set every so often and find they are more useful than duct tape. when they cost a nickel a piece its no big deal to bend em, cut em or ruin them for any purpose you feel worthy. :cool:

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
Just don't plan on using them as a screw driver!

In my tool box are a bunch of "crap" screw drivers. I use them as chisels, pry bars, ice picks, whatever.

There are also a couple of good screw drivers that I would be really upset if someone abused.

When you have a tight screw that you need to remove it is really important that the screwdriver blade be sharp and properly shaped. If the blade is rounded and bent then it won't engage the screw properly and attempting to use it is likely to strip the head of the screw, making it even more difficult to get out.

Rod

Porkchop

~SPONSOR~
Apr 27, 2001
I know it's a bit late to comment on this, but on holding up? Flip a coin on it& there's your answer. Will it work? Sure it will........ you got somthing to use as you wish, put in your shoe box, & it separated you from your money. POUND AT WILL! :cool:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Would you let your hubbie use your best cuticle nipper to cut 12 ga. wire? :p

I'm crazy OCD about my tools, but I make my living with those tools. Good tools are not cheap! I keep a separate tool box with "use as you wish" tools so the good stuff doesn't get mis-used.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The handle will split, fall off and become unsightly and less functional. Or the tip will become destroyed/smashed. Screwdrivers with through shanks exposed to the end are priceless. Then its just a matter of cleaning the tip up now and then on the grinder. You can pick up a complete set of punches and chisels from places like harbor freight cheap. They may serve their purpose. I like scouring the flea market for the pre- ralph nader years, he effectively ruined everything from tools to my Corvair, the first whiner for the government to protect me. Anywho, older chisels and punches are darker uncolored metal, the rest are shinier and flouresant orange for safety! They are too soft, the older stuff is more brittle. They hold an edge longer. NEVER, hammer on a Klein screwdriver, they are the best, imo. Get another tool box. Vintage Bob

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I agree with the tools making my living and Klein screw drivers ROCK. I completely wear out at least 2 Klein #2 phillips head screw drivers a year. I use one on average of 2-hours a day.
But to be honest, I use the butt end of my screw driver to hammer plastic anchors into sheet rock and some times I use the shaft to punch the hole first. Good tools cost good money, lost time having to walk back to the truck to get the RIGHT tools sometimes costs more so it comes down to profit and loss for me and certain tools.

DangyDave

Feb 2, 2011
I say good for you putting your own pegs on! No matter what you used to put 'em on with. I actually have a pair of high heels which I occasionally use indoors as a hammer when I need to put a nail in the wall to hang something. I call it "shoehammer" - super cute! :laugh:

Top Bottom