BIGTACO

Feb 11, 2009
So I am getting into dirt bikes for the first time. At the moment I have an old 91 WR250 2 stroke my buddy gave me until I can save for a "new to me bike". I will be ready to purchase sometime mid summer so I have plenty of time to research and ride. I ride in trails here in Texas. Everything from the wooded trails of Sam Houston National Forest to rocky trails out near Marble Falls. I do plan on racing enduros once I get better. Needless to say the old 2 stroke is quite challenging in trails, especially for someone new like me...

I have had the chance though to try out a 2006 Honda CRF450X and my buddies 2008 KTM XC-W. MAN, what a difference. Like night and day in comparison to the old 2 stroke.

I am going to be able to afford a max of $3000 for my bike. I absolutely want electric start, 4 stroke, 450. I am 200 lbs and 6'3" tall. From my research I have narrowed down either a 2004 Yamaha WR450F or a 2004 KTM EXC 450. I want to know what you guys think of these bikes. Which one would be the best choice? Anyone have any other suggestions I should look into??

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
In the enduros I ride, orange is the predominant color, but there is a lot of other colors as well. I would say that either of your choices are fine, although I would expect you would have a much easier time finding a WR450f in your price range than a KTM.

If you are brand new to dirt bikes, however, I would recommend that you stick with the bike you have for a couple of years. Ride a few enduros with it. Don't even worry about timekeeping, just ride on the same minute with someone who does time keep and just follow him. When you get to the point where you can honestly say that the bike would have made a difference in your score, then it will be time to upgrade.

If you want to make that WR250 a bit more trail friendly consider adding a flywheel weight and adding a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket. Make sure your jetting is correct so you have decent power in the mid range. Work on your suspension.

BIGTACO

Feb 11, 2009
Thanks for the insight my man. I do think I will get rid of this old bike though as fast as possible. It has alot of issues. No reason to toss money into an old bike when I could be using that money to save for a newer one with a brighter future.

Top Bottom