Which fork oil for '00 YZ 250?

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Coop,
What is wrong with say a more viscous fuild.. How do you suspect that impacts suspension performance.. I Ask another question is the air spring a postion issue or a speed issue... In other words does it respond to interia or load? I wonder if you know where this is going? Humm....

I wonder if the force of resistance to compression is any diffrent than say a heavier spring.. So lets say we run a lighter spring and higher oil ht.. How would that impact performance.. Hum.. What is the difference in nature between the two? I mean they are similar but yet diferent some how.. Coop?

Jer

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
Yes the two are different, but dont you think yamaha tryed both ways, and came up with the best overall setup, to fit a wide range of riders,?
I think they tryed heavier oils like mobile 1 atf, but they came up with the oil that works the best, for a wide range of riding styles, and a oil that fits there valving, But, as I stated before, it is all about changing oil in yz200 250 fork, and the spec I gave him is what I would say 95% of the people are running, wouldnt you say jer ? besides this is getting very old, and worn out, I think you thought you had some punk kid, you could make a fool of? and well I WILL BE NO ONES FOOL ! You could have posted " yea coop that will work fine, but I have some other settings that work real good, like I run mobile 1 atf," etc, etc,etc.... But instead it seems you would rather argue the point to death ? And acting like the allmighty 'JER"

Just my 2 cents. last post!!

See ya Coop

zeke

Nov 15, 1999
Thanks for finishing this Jeremy. Nice job.
You handled it very well.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Coop,

I tried to WARN you!
tongue.gif

What a TOUGH GUY!!!!!......

It's MY football....Whaaa...If we don't play by MY rules...Whaaa...then i'm going home..Whaaaa

You missed the WHOLE point!
An OPEN mind will always Gain KNOWLEDGE...A CLOSED one does not.

wrench

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
Dirt Rider mag, says , The changes to the kayaba fork and shock did improve to be significant improvements, both ends were much more responsive, the most noticable gains were made in braking bumps where the 46mm inverted fork featured more control..humm? they go on to say "the fork doesnt dive into turns and is morepredictable than the past. hummm ?

Sounds like someone else agrees with me, but what do they know, right ! lol

See ya Coop

P.S This is really my last post on this !

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
Oh one more thing, Some one posted this about the same front forks ??
"The 01 YZ's have the worst fork yet.. Yam changed the mid-valve stress by lengthing the float of the midvalve by .75mm what a joke! They did not fix the problem but made it completly out of the realm of effectiveness... What a waste.. hummm??

See ya Coop

P.S, O.K this is the last post,!!!

wrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Originally posted by Coop37:

P.S, O.K this is the last post,!!!

Thank You DIRT GODS!!!!!

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Coop,
Sorry Brother.. I thought we were done.. IF you really wanna talk smak why don't stop droping names and using other quotes. The point is you don't know how a fork works from the way a watch winds. IF you want to argue you tell me how I'm wrong.. You can't. I'm really getting ticked off.. Your like a misquto that won't land long enough to sqaush.

If you got any brass why don't you post some more or is mom calling you home for dinner.

Jer

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
dont get mad jer... just poking fun !!
All I am saying is you have your ways, dirt rider mag has there ways, And I have mine, thats all, It is a big world out there, and there is room enough for all our thoughts.. Dont you think? Really didnt mean to tic you off, as I thought we were going to go riding, and show each other our setups ?

See ya Coop

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Jer,

I can have my 2 YZ's loaded and ready to go tomorrow. You can take my truck and trailer for a week if you want. Just come and get it.

Coop, do you have any front teeth? I would be surprised if you did really? Is your nose crooked? Or are you some stick man with a rack to hold you vertical? You picked this fight Coop, you got a whole crowd of people showing up for it and now you tell us you are an invertabrate? I don't think a cat could hear your marbles hit the floor if it was standing between your legs when you dropped them.

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Uhhh... Geez Coop, Sorry! I didn't mean to tic you off or anything. I was just stating my opinions that's all. I think this world is big enough for that, don't you? I mean you have your opinions and I have mine and we can share them right. Blah blah blah.

I bet your local river has risen 2 feet by now hasn't it Coop? See, this is called sarcasm dude. It cuts kinda deep don't it?

You use it at the wrong time on a guy you don't know and you might be looking to get your throat cut. You will be lucky if Jer accepts your limp wristed attempt at an apology.

You could have argued your points with valid posts but you kept poking and prodding with sarcasm. You could have taken a day and thought about what you guys have been discussing. At one point, I thought the same thing you did. Ask Jer, I have questioned the same thing with him here and privately. But, I was able to take his word and learn from it. You apparently think of yourself as a stack of brittanica's or something. Do you not have any room left in your pea sized brain to accept knowledge? Come here and share what you know Coop, but be ready to learn too. State your opinions matter of factly, but don't get sarcastic until you have been known here long enough so people will know when your "poking fun"!

I don't know anything about you other than what your profile says. Jer is one of the more tolerable moderators on this site. I guarantee you start this kind of crap with Rich or Eric and they will nail your ass to the wall boy! I see your a service manager of something, what, refrigerators and dishwashers? If you work in the motorcycle industry you are going to be able to post some things from experience and people would like that if you have some insightful and resourceful things to offer. Now, let's get that ride setup for next season. I got a set of YZ forks that will blow the vegetation out your ears. You will love em'!!! My forks are better than yooooooooour forks nanananananaaaaaaaaaaaaa....

You do it right and you will make some friends here. You do it wrong and you will have half the population wanting to stretch your neck. Tact Coop, Tact. I know, I ate my feet here awhile back buddy! Hopefully you are taking my place as resident moron now. Probably not though as I have apparently worked pretty hard for it. I guess it won't be difficult for me to keep.

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
Shocknut, I know jer is very smart man, I just seem to have a warped sence of humor?
I was really was looking forward to meeting him, and checking out his stuff, I never did say my forks work better, hell they are stock valved, Didnt mean to set you off either, I am a service manager of a multi line motorcycle dealership, I deal with this kinda stuff all day long, And to be honest with you, it is all in fun. this forum is the best one I have seen in a long time, I know eric also, I have sent him lots of work over the years, he is a great guy, I just simply have never heard of mobile 1 atf in a fork ? Hell I may even try it! but it sure would be fun to get together and go out testing, as that is what I like doing,

So it sounds like everything got blown way out of porportion, So for that I am sorry !

I really think we could all lighten up a bit.

I didnt know you guys, and I kinda thought I did, thats why I was kidding around, I do that were I work and we have fun with it??

Any way Sorry shocknut, and jer !!

I wont post here any more.

See ya Coop

Byrd Man

Aug 24, 2000
Coop, I hope this thread doesn't discourage you from posting here on DRN. I value everyone's experience and try to learn from it. This started out as a good debate. I have really enjoyed this thread until the last few post. It was starting to get ugly. Looked like you were getting tag teamed, hehe. I think shocknut is just trying to help, and took you the wrong way with your sick sense of humor. see ya

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Coop37, you have experiences to relate that other people will like to hear. You are not being asked to leave this board Coop. I was trying to make a point.

Nobody has a more warped sense of humor than me dude. Stick around and help these guys out. I've got too much stuff going on with snowmobiles right now so I'm the one that's gonna disappear for awhile.

Coop37

Oct 4, 2000
buttnut, oh I mean shocknut, what sleds you working on, I do some mods my self, as we sell sleds to!, We got about 12 inches the last storm, buy the way, seeing you have two yz's get with jer, and come out!, I have so great riding out here, bring your sled if it is winter time and your bike, we will do it both, sled one day, (8 ft of fresh powder, at 10000 ft. and ride the desert or the slick rock of moab !! I will stick around, maybe I change my name to ****STIRER.. LOL

See ya Coop37

Jeremy Wilkey

Owner, MX-Tech
Jan 28, 2000
Coop,
I'm getting a handle on you.. I feel bad when you want to leave.. Maybe I've become too teritorial and your the new Dog in the pack.. GOD I have become a Junkie..

Seroiuly though... We wnat you here I'm sure you have a lot of helpful things for people... I'm probalby only slightly more stable than Shocknut.. As Eric once said suspension guys are all werid.. They breath to many oil vapors.. Who knows.. I'm a health nut well I supose other than a like of cabornated malted barley beverages on occasion as a nonhealth food..

The point is Im think you have survied your onoffical inetation.. (I never new we had hazing here..but it would seem..) I ask that you please consider that I really dislike answers that come from now where.. I try to know everything I can about suspesnion.. And the details count... I'm far more apt to here someone rattle off some convoluted..left feild bulroar than a "limp wristed" uniteresting idea.. I stuck in a self concocted world of questions and the easy stuff is bore.. So enjoy..I'll accept you if we can end our little tussle and move forward..

Your lucky I suspose as I was going to bustout the valving specs..

BTW.. The reason the 01YZ rides higher is the new CV is firmer... So even though the mid-valve is now a joke the CV is doing more work so to say.. Hence riding higher.. For the Record o'l Shocknut figured out the Cv was not actually a high speed blow off but it did have a complete speed range impact..

Good day Coop... When I'm out.. We are riding.. And I will "Show you" a few suspension things..

Jer

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Coop, I will try to keep in mind you get your 2 ends mixed up. Now, sleds is conversation material that I won't get into on this site. If you wanna talk sleds, we do it privately. You would have some interesting things for me since we ride 2 different environments in snow. I'm a flatlander. I could use your input on some powder issues.

wrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
*^%*(&% !!!!!!!

And I just made POPCORN!!!!
tongue.gif

Coop,

I guess I misunderstood you as well...Welcome

Shocknut,
I thought I replaced YOU!!!!
smile.gif

Byrd,
Where in Flowery Branch are you ...Do you ride in the woods?????

wrench
M1-ATF ride impressions SOON!!!

Byrd Man

Aug 24, 2000
Hey Wrench, I live off spout springs rd. just outside the city limits. I ride woods occasionaly, but prefer MX. My 426 is better suited to the track. I do like toccoa OHV, good trails there. I sent Ivan a email a few days ago. I'd like to meet you guys at Aonia pass one day soon for a fun ride. I also ride Lanier MX (went there today), Monroe and Loganville. Let me know if you guys are planning a ride sometime. see ya

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
Kx vet,
No you don't! Coop deserves his chance here as well as anybody. In case nobody noticed, I got this situation diffused instead of egging it on. Coop never did anything to offend me personally. Because I know Jer a bit I know how he thinks too. I can guarantee if I had not done this there is a stack of 155mm shells that would have been put into action bro.

Wrench,
you would not have been able to hold onto your popcorn bucket in the middle of an artillery barrage anyway. You crack me up dude. And you are not quite creative enough yet to replace me as site moron. Keep trying though, I will crown thee at the proper time. For now I remain entitled OK.

Byrd man,
Thanks for standing and being a nice guy here and requesting Coop37's continued presence. Everybody has stuff to share and personally I would like to see some more personal experiences regarding suspension tuning and such. I think Jer could walk away for awhile(he has sort of) and the rest of you guys would be able to get each others problems solved.

And Coop37,
As a new member, welcome aboard. Your opinions mean as much as anybody elses here. Everybody can learn from your experiences. And yes, you should try the Mobil 1 ATF, at whatever level you wish. I would like the idea that I might make it out there some day as I have been thinking about riding Moab. You got any trials bikes handy for a day's cruise in the slick rock? I heard that's a blast. I'm sorry I got so harsh dude, didn't know any other way to mellow things out here. I guess it's just my style and why I where the moron crown. Funny I haven't been kicked out yet. You didn't owe me an apology Coop37. I just don't want anybody experiencing shell shock here right now. I would rather everyone concentrate on helping JG out. Here we are bickering about oil level and such and that guys fighting for his life. Get them donations in guys. You might even win a bike.

wrench

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
Shocknut,

smile.gif
:0
tongue.gif

wrench

Top Bottom