plysWfire

Mar 1, 2001
I'm got my son's 2002 KX85 in pieces right now. The bike ate a piston, and I've had to split the cases to clean the bottom end out.

Any suggestions on any maintinance I should do while I've got it appart?

How about quick mods?

I'm considering trying to polish the intake ports a little bit, but have never tried it before. Is it pretty easy to do, or a job better left to the pros?

Thanks for any help.

DEANSFASTWAY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2002
I would rebuild the crank while its apart ,check the team green site for mods or bulletins . check the power valve assy governor for the required pressed /assembled height .On some bikes the gear is not pressed on all the way and the balls fall out of the governor . . Good luck

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I would also check the pin that the kips valve actuates on, we lost a cylinder and piston right after a fresh rebuild when that pin snapped on my son's KX last year.

SULLY

Apr 17, 2002
I wouldn't bother polishing, read plenty of threads on here that say its not worth it.
The bike is pretty good stock, ours had a PC Pipe on it, but I don't think it makes much difference on the KX.
I can vouch for the PV governer thing, it happened on ours, so read up on the subject, we pressed it approx 1mm closer than the book said to make sure the balls didn't come out.
Depending ou hours use I would do a crank rebuild as you have it apart, but a dealer can check the crank for you and advise.

Top Bottom