who sings that on any sunday theme song?

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
i want to dowload it but i don't know who sings it or what its called, i tried typeing in on any sunday but couldn't find it

zilla

Nov 4, 2001
You may have go to the Video store and find the video to see who does the music.. I found the movie on the web here But the music isn't listed in the credits..

zilla

Last edited:

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Sally Stevens?

Damn I wish people wouldn’t ask these questions! I just can’t leave it alone until I find out something, anything. I’ve been on this for over an hour and here’s what I found out.

Dominic Frontiere wrote the score (composed or whatever you musicians call it) for the movie “On Any Sunday”. The soundtrack was released on Bell Records (1206 whatever that means). Frontiere has done numerous movie scores, including “Hang ‘em High” and “Chisum”. As well as TV stuff like the “Outer Limits”. Apparently Frontiere is some kind of a legend among jazz accordianists.

I haven’t been able to uncover who sang the song “On Any Sunday” but I’m willing to guess that the songwriter may have also recorded the song.

And who is the songwriter you may ask?

Well here’s a quote from Frontiere himself:

"I'm probably the only member of the Bruce Brown team who made "On Any Sunday" that has never ridden a motorcycle in his life. I'm also a car-hater, and I honestly believe cars hate me. But I am a multi-engine, instrument-rated private pilot, and I believe I instantly knew what Bruce was trying to capture on film.

I've flown planes from 90 MPH Aeronca's to Northrop's F-5 in excess of 1000 MPH over the Mojave Desert where 70,000 feet below Bruce Brown's film subjects were competing in that weekly mad-cap, hope-to-hell-I-finish, Mojave Desert race. I knew the lyric Sally Stevens wrote for my theme was "the" one when I read her line, "On Any Sunday I'm A Flyin' Man".

I can't say enough about Bruce Brown, Don Shoemaker, Bob Bagley, and the rest of Bruce's team that I met. These people are film-makers and working with them was one of the best experiences I've ever had in this business. Also, I'd like to give a special thank you to Lester Sill, Marv Mattis, John Rosica, and Harvey Cooper, who bought my music before a note was written." -Dominic Frontiere

So my best guess is that Sally Stevens sang the song “On Any Sunday”.

Also listed in an obscure reference (that I can no longer seem to find), was a guy by the name of Tom Scott. But even though I can’t give proper credit, here is the quote:

“A brief fad for motorsports movies in the late 60s provided a series of good funk scores including Dave Grusin's Winning (Gasoline Alley), obscure Amos LP Vanishing Point with the JB Pickers, and Dominic Frontiere's superb big band hard funk soundtrack 'On Any Sunday' with Tom Scott”

In another lost reference I found that Larry Bunker played drums for the sound track. And, Tom Scott’s name is mentioned again as the man who arranged the music. Here it is:

Larry Bunker--this man is highly under-rated. He's a FINE jazz drummer, utilized as a percussionist mostly in the TV films, movies, etc. We worked the "Hawaii 5-O"(John Guerin worked all of those exclusively on drums). But Larry shocked me for his GREAT rock drumming on the film score of Dominic Frontiere's (arr. by Tom Scott) "On Any Sunday" (the motorcycle picture), which out-take is on Hotwire's "Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Bass" -- he'll put away rock drummers for sure - scary.

The sound track album also included these songs:On Any Sunday, The End of Love, Stretchin’ Out, Sunday Drivin’ I Believed, Hindsight, Messin’ Around, Theme For The Champions, Cross Country, Widow Maker

Maybe someone who knows how to search music archives can take this the rest of the way. I’m done.

Oh, one more thing. Frontier's ex-wife, Georgia Frontiere, once owned the Los Angeles Rams.

Check out this picture of the sound track album.

Attachments

• cover_on_any_sunday.gif
    cover_on_any_sunday.gif
    21.2 KB · Views: 337

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I also found this MP3 of Sunday Drivin' CLICK

And this site claims to have the soundtrack album for $15 CLICK

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by VintageDirt
I also found this MP3 of Sunday Drivin'

FUNKY :cool:

I like that intro with the drums and upright bass.

Now you got me wondering... I'll see if I can scrounge up some more MP3's.

*william*

Jul 5, 2000
I found "Messin' Around," a ragtime/jazz number - Sounds like Leon Redbone.
Sound right? I can upload it to my website it if anyone wants it.

But I'm not getting any other hits on Gnutella, no surprise really as the soundtrack looks to have been released only on vinyl.

P.S. I just found this site, it's got some cool promo posters for OAS, from all over the world. CHECK IT

Last edited:

EpieMae

Sep 7, 2016
Sally Stevens?

Damn I wish people wouldn’t ask these questions! I just can’t leave it alone until I find out something, anything. I’ve been on this for over an hour and here’s what I found out.

Dominic Frontiere wrote the score (composed or whatever you musicians call it) for the movie “On Any Sunday”. The soundtrack was released on Bell Records (1206 whatever that means). Frontiere has done numerous movie scores, including “Hang ‘em High” and “Chisum”. As well as TV stuff like the “Outer Limits”. Apparently Frontiere is some kind of a legend among jazz accordianists.

I haven’t been able to uncover who sang the song “On Any Sunday” but I’m willing to guess that the songwriter may have also recorded the song.

And who is the songwriter you may ask?

Well here’s a quote from Frontiere himself:

"I'm probably the only member of the Bruce Brown team who made "On Any Sunday" that has never ridden a motorcycle in his life. I'm also a car-hater, and I honestly believe cars hate me. But I am a multi-engine, instrument-rated private pilot, and I believe I instantly knew what Bruce was trying to capture on film.

I've flown planes from 90 MPH Aeronca's to Northrop's F-5 in excess of 1000 MPH over the Mojave Desert where 70,000 feet below Bruce Brown's film subjects were competing in that weekly mad-cap, hope-to-hell-I-finish, Mojave Desert race. I knew the lyric Sally Stevens wrote for my theme was "the" one when I read her line, "On Any Sunday I'm A Flyin' Man".

I can't say enough about Bruce Brown, Don Shoemaker, Bob Bagley, and the rest of Bruce's team that I met. These people are film-makers and working with them was one of the best experiences I've ever had in this business. Also, I'd like to give a special thank you to Lester Sill, Marv Mattis, John Rosica, and Harvey Cooper, who bought my music before a note was written." -Dominic Frontiere

So my best guess is that Sally Stevens sang the song “On Any Sunday”.

Also listed in an obscure reference (that I can no longer seem to find), was a guy by the name of Tom Scott. But even though I can’t give proper credit, here is the quote:

“A brief fad for motorsports movies in the late 60s provided a series of good funk scores including Dave Grusin's Winning (Gasoline Alley), obscure Amos LP Vanishing Point with the JB Pickers, and Dominic Frontiere's superb big band hard funk soundtrack 'On Any Sunday' with Tom Scott”

In another lost reference I found that Larry Bunker played drums for the sound track. And, Tom Scott’s name is mentioned again as the man who arranged the music. Here it is:

Larry Bunker--this man is highly under-rated. He's a FINE jazz drummer, utilized as a percussionist mostly in the TV films, movies, etc. We worked the "Hawaii 5-O"(John Guerin worked all of those exclusively on drums). But Larry shocked me for his GREAT rock drumming on the film score of Dominic Frontiere's (arr. by Tom Scott) "On Any Sunday" (the motorcycle picture), which out-take is on Hotwire's "Who's Afraid Of The Big Bad Bass" -- he'll put away rock drummers for sure - scary.

The sound track album also included these songs:On Any Sunday, The End of Love, Stretchin’ Out, Sunday Drivin’ I Believed, Hindsight, Messin’ Around, Theme For The Champions, Cross Country, Widow Maker

Maybe someone who knows how to search music archives can take this the rest of the way. I’m done.

Oh, one more thing. Frontier's ex-wife, Georgia Frontiere, once owned the Los Angeles Rams.

Check out this picture of the sound track album.

YES - Sally Stevens. If you go to the site IMBD.com and look at On Any Sunday, Soundtrack - it does list Sally!

Top Bottom