Why did it melt 2 stators in 1100 miles?

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
Just a COIL and STATOR??

I have some additional questions about my bike:

After numerous DRN and google searches, I cannot locate a manual/wiring diagrams for my '94 WXC 610.

TODAY, I examined the bike carefully, and it appears that the ENTIRE ignition system consists of a DUCATI coil, and stator.

Should there be any other components other than the kill switch? ( i have that).

My bike DOES NOT have lights.

Wiring information of any kind would be awesome!

Any and all replies are greatly appreciated. :)

original message [(I just bought a '94 husky 610 wxe... The only problem it has is that It has melted two stators...

I don't want to get the aftermarket (melted) Ducati stator re-wired, only to melt it again.

could it just be a bad connection somewhere that is overloading the circuit? (I've been told that can happen).

Has anyone else had similar problems with their bikes?

Does anyone have suggestions about why this happened?)
[original message]

Thank's a lot~

Last edited:

Taliesin

May 11, 2000
The Ducati Igniton is not aftermarket but was fitted on all left kick Husky 4strokes from 1995 on replacing the SEM swedish ignition which were reknown for poor spark fitted previously.You cannot buy the SEM anymore even as a spare part but the Ducati Electronic version bolts straight on
I heared of some stators burning out occassionally.But never experienced this myself.To find 2 burning out there must some other problem bad earth or something.Also I would never trust the mileage on a dirt bike clock.Cables get easily damaged off road & many people don't replace them until they sell a bike on.
The main issue with the Ducati ignitions is the flywheel magnetic ring slipping inside the magneto housing causing irratic ignition timming until you will not start the bike.This is easily repaired by an experienced tech.I have repaired about 12 in the last 2 years. 98% of the time this is the problem with anybody who has spark issues with this ignition I have had cowboys come to me with badly rewired stators which don't work after rewiring also people have bought new CDI's.I say have checked the magnets!! By then they have spent $$ on new parts!!

Last edited:

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
The seller told me that the bike came with the stock SEM stator (which I have- it's melted), and then he installed the ducati one. That's on the bike now, and melted too. He told me the same thing you (Taliesin) did about the poor spark of the SEM... I've got a '94 though, so it may have come with the SEM, and was just upgraded later. IDK.

I agree about there being some other problem... When you talk about a bad ground, do you mean the ground for the voltage reg? I FOUND that the black wire coming from the stator had all its insulation missing in one spot (chipped away, not chafed)... I'm going to check the other stator to see if it has the same thing.

In terms of mileage, I don't even have an odometer, it's just what the seller told me, which I took with a grain of salt... It prob'ly has more miles than that. I just used that as an example, to show how rapidly it melted the two stators.

Taliesin: I'll be sure to get my flywheel ring checked/repaired... thank's for the heads-up!

It sounds like you've got a lot of experience with this stuff. Do you know where I could find a shop manual/wiring diagrams? What's the procedure for timin' the ignition? (I've only done cars). I have a timing light...

Thank's a lot~
Also- I'm going to try to contact George @uptite...

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
TODAY, I examined the bike carefully, and it appears that the ENTIRE ignition system consists of a DUCATI coil, and stator. (stator connects to the coil, and there are three additional wires (prob'ly 2 for the k/s, and 1 ground?!)

Should there be any other components other than the kill switch? ( i have that).

Would George @ uptite husky be willing to help me over the phone? I'll give that a try tomorrow*

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
I gave him a call- You're right. He's the man!
I need to get my magnets re-aligned by him, and he said that was all it prob'ly is- not a melted stator.

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
That's awesome!

The only downside about havin' him fix my flywheel is that I'm in MAINE, and he's in CALIFORNIA----
It'll take a while to send him the parts/get them back, but w/e-
HE can FIX IT!

Agitator

Dec 21, 2005
UPDATE:
I talked to the seller again today (this cleared a lot of stuff up) Yes, I'm moving slowly on this 'project'....
he said that he had the stator taken to an electrical place, where they determined that it is indeed melted (on 1 post). I'm going to buy a puller and remove the flywheel and see what I see...

It may seem like I'm hardly doing any work on this project, but I have other things to do during the day.

I'll post more results later.

Top Bottom