why did they change from a 4.0 to 3.0 slide on 04 husky wr250's?

richy

Mar 9, 2003
My 04 came with a 3.0 slide installed and an addtl 4.0 slide in the jetting pack that came with it. The book states stock is 4.0 but the parts book shows th 3.0. Which is the stock cutaway?

Thanks much!

Rich
------

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Maybe it's better for running in or something. I put the 4.0 into my 04 after a few hours. Sh*t what a difference. It seemed to lose the bottom end grunt and made the power come on really strong from the mid to the top. Too strong for the type of tight trails I'm riding. Gone back to the 3 for the time being - easier to loft the front wheel up at low revs in those hidden whoops just round the corner... I haven't started playing round with the pipe or power valve yet. It's hard to fault as it is.

trajisto

May 3, 2002
Can you guys compare your WR Husky's to a new KTM 250/300EXC or any other bike for that matter? Any feedback would be great! Not a lot of them out there you know?

Thanks,
Travis

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
I haven't ridden a new KTM250 but have read a shootout test of the two bikes (well, an 03 test anyway). The Husky is less modern - cable clutch, older engine design, chain on the right etc. But the motor made the best enduro power and the handling and suspension were judged the best around - responsive but predictable/stable whereas the '03 KTM was razor sharp but hairy. I'm sure both bikes would be pretty even once they were properly set up (The Gas Gas came out as the best all rounder). The 04 WR250 won the 250 2st of the year in French off road bible MotoVerde. Handling seems to be its strong suit.

richy

Mar 9, 2003
Arjay,

I don't think I gave the 3.0 slide a fair shake as I only used it during break in. I have a 2000 wr250 as well which was stock with the 4.0 and has better traction off bottom than my 04 with the 4.0 which as you stated seems to perhaps take away the bottom and make it a screamer. I am sure there have been quit a few changes since 2000 that could warrant husky changing to the #3. I as well ride alot of tight and technical stuff and will be having another go with the 3.0 and see how she behaves. Perhaps the 2nd slide is provided for differant geographic areas? Hmmm

Thanks!

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Richy, maybe the answer lies in using the 4.0 slide and changing the stock pipe. Jeff David at Jaydee m/c's reckons that with V/Force and modified Bills pipe and silencer and revised jetting the bike has an almost identical dyno reading as a KTM300 (same max power and similar torque curve) He's done heaps of development work on WR250's over the years.

http://www.jaydeemotorcycles.com.au

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
We have better LOL

Heres how a wr250 dyno should look :yikes:

Attachments

• wr250 2002 (Custom).JPG
    wr250 2002 (Custom).JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 495

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Thanks Marcus. Was that for a CR250? 46hp plus looks pretty impressive. Does 2c do a different pipe for the WR, for more torque down low (or is that down to p/v settings and jetting?)
Do you or Karl have any tips on WR250 engine set up?

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Its a 2002 WR250 but the engines the same really underneath.Its 49hp but we wont argue ;)

HVQ 250 01-04 seems like one pipe for the husky 250.

Kp would drone on for about 3 hours if i asked on the engine as its like his baby, there still the most powerfull(when modded) 250 2 stroke made.Drop him a e mail and he will answer specific questions but dont expect long answers hes not good on keyboards.

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Husqvarna's WR 250...

Interesting post! I bought a well set-up 2002 WR 250 recently. :laugh: I grew tired of making 99, 00 YZ's off roadable. :| I also liked riding my KTM 400 MXC 4stroke, but didn't enjoy racing it in the GNCC's (sold it).

In short, I'm pleasantly surprised with riding the Husqvarna WR 250 a few times in the past few months. It definitely feels shorter, more nimble, well balanced, and even lighter than the others. It is much more stable than the KTM's I've ridden. It has never wagged it's head, which I find very comforting. The hairy description of KTM's wild ride (especially the 4 strokes) is accurate IMHO.

The power is more than ample and I am starting to get the little things dialed in. It does have a cable clutch (but so did my YZ's) and I just put a new one on. This used bike did come with a Pro-Circuit pipe and Spark Arrestor. The various hardware is defintely a higher quality than the OEM Asian brands. :yeehaw: The quick release (no tools) seat is great (people stare)! I ordered some parts and they came rather quickly. :cool:

I'd buy another Husqvarna from what I have seen so far!

See you on the trails! :eek:

Last edited:

bud

Jun 29, 1999
The leaner #4 slide was stock up till 02. Now the #3 slide is apparently stock. I prefer the #3 in my 04 anyway becuase the power delivery is so smooth. That's with a 32.5 pilot, #60 needle on the 2nd leanest clip and a 370 main.

Is there a list of mods on that 49hp bike?

Re husky vs ktm 250 2ts. To me the ktm still feels and handles old school and not particularly well in stock form despite whatever hardware is on it. I find the husky pretty neutral to ride, very predictable and confidence inspiring. I've had 00, 02 and now 04 husky wr250's and each has dramatic improvements on the previous one. I'm planning on another wr250 for my next bike :).

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
husky questions ???

Two things maybe you husky nuts can help me with?First of all does anyone know if husky will sell wr250's in 05'???Got an e-mail yesterday from husky on new models,coudnt find a 2-smoke anywhere_What no 05 wr250???.
2nd of all does anyone know if new(er) wr250's have wide ratio tranny (mines a wide 5speed)OR mx close ratio tranny? thanks bro's.

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
The WR250 is definately around for '05 (see image). It's had a gentle plastics makeover, some engine work, new linkage and new shock. Hopefully it'll get the cool fourstroke styling in '06. I don't know if the tranny would be considered wide ratio. It's a five speed with the same ratios as the CR. The WR360 had a six speed (not sure if it would fit or work right in the 250).

bud

Jun 29, 1999
bugger that pic, now I want an 05 ;). I heard the 05 wr250's will be (husky) cr250's with a lighting/road legal kit. Ie a "wr"250. The 04's aren't really wr either. I'd guess they'll do 70mph with 14/45 sprockets - stock is 13/48 which struggles to get to 60.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Tests of the 05 Huskys

Bike Test Italy, Husqvarna 2005

Husqvarna does not sleep! After 1 year away from MX1 and MX2 racing, Husqvarna has developed a formidable range of bikes to suit every level of rider, now having 10 adult models.

Husqvarna’s choice in 2004, was to use all technical expertise to improve the overall durability of each model, starting from a clean sheet of paper. On their TC 4-stroke range, they redesigned the chassis – made a new lighter swing arm, married with a new Sachs shock and rising rate link. The Sachs shock has hi & low speed and rebound adjustment with 50mm piston and top out spring, this is balanced with 45mm Marzocchi forks and a starting hook. The motor has new cams and valves which increase horsepower output and durability. Kehein carburettors are now standard on all 4-stroke models which transform the ride ability of the bike. Electric starts are also used on the 4-stroke range which is an added bonus. But for those who wish for a kick start, this comes fitted on the TE models and is an optional extra on the TC models, but I never used it as the button was great!!

Starting from the mild mannered TE and WR range to the pure race CR & TC bikes.

TE 250 4-stroke enduro, fully road legal

TE 450 4-stroke enduro, fully road legal

TE 510 4-stroke enduro, fully road legal

WR 250 2-stroke enduro, fully road legal

WR 125 2-stroke enduro, fully road legal

CR 250 2-stroke motocross/super-x

CR 125 2-stroke motocross/super-x

TC 250 4-stroke motocross/super-x

TC 450 4-stroke motocross/super-x

TC 510 4-stroke motocross/super-x

4 weeks after the Grand Prix, the test was set up at Malpensa, Italian GP track, hosted by Husqvarna race team and the use of 3 hospitality artics, Marzocchi & Sachs service trucks at hand for our use. There were 30 Husqvarna technicians to look after the 10 new 2005 models and answer any questions which we may have. Also there was an enduro special test set out in the woods for us to put the WR/TE models through their paces.

The test sessions were set up so we had 20 minutes evaluation time on each bike, on the track of your choice to suit your riding ability and understand the bikes applications.

Impressions

My first choice was to get on the motocross models; CR/TC because that was my first discipline.

TC 450 2005

On riding around the GP prepared track on the TC 450, made me quickly realise that this bike needs respect. It’s full bodied race power, pulls from low down and rev’s out making each gear feel long. The bike is a professional bike for expert and experienced riders and should be used on big open tracks to get the most out of it.

The riding position has been changed with new wider seat and tank junction, for better riding control with your knees. The new chassis, foot peg and handlebar position gives the bike a roomy feel, which favours the larger rider.

The suspension is firm, giving you confidence on the larger super-x style jumps of Malpensa. The oversized discs, give you great stopping power and has a smaller/ lighter rear calliper. The other noticeable difference is the weight of the bike. The Husqvarna engineers have been working hard to shave the weight wherever they can, and this has made a big difference on jumps and braking into corners.

CR 250 2005

This bike I know very well, we have a lot of history together, I was really excited to ride it, and it certainly didn’t disappoint me. It is still the best 250cc 2-stroke motor in its class. If you want a thrill, this is the one for you! It has been given a face lift with new graphics and new yellow rear mud guard with a centennial style front number board.

But the list is short and there is a lot of competition in this class. In my opinion it needs a new chassis and to share radical cosmetic changes like the TC/TE 4-stroke. Overall a proven bike, a thrill to ride.

CR 125 2005

She is still a rever!! It rev’s free, and gives you a great feeling of speed. I would say it is not the fastest 125 I have ridden, but it inspires you with confidence and you really feel you can ride it hard. This bike would best suit small riders, 10 stone or less, or moving up from 80cc class. If you fall into this category you would get the best out of this bike. A nice little extra on the motocross range is that they all come with Husqvarna’s own start device.

TC 510 2005

The TC 510 shares all the technical improvements of the TC 450 and the new centennial style. Before riding the bike, I expected a horsepower monster, I was so wrong. Comparing it to the TC 450, the extra cubic does not seem to make more top power at all, it seemed to increase the power low in the rev range, making a wide spread of power and feeling less peaky with smooth delivery.

This translates into faster lap times which seemed to come easy, at times you don’t really know how fast you are going, it helps you lift your pace. In my opinion this bike would suit the average weekend club rider, but don’t be surprised when you get moved up into the expert class sooner than expected!

TC 250 2005

The TC 250 is the baby motocross 4-stroke of the bunch. It shares all the same technical improvements as its bigger 4-stroke brothers. The technical brief on this bike was; 70% work was done on improving durability, with new clutch, valves, head, crankshaft and con-rod; 30% of work was done on performance in head, ignition, Kehein carburettor, exhaust and cams.

The ride and stability of the bike feels very good on rough outdoor tracks, this bike invites you to ride it hard. The power is good for the small 250cc motor and it seems to get traction where the others failed, it feels like you can hold the throttle on full, 90% of the track. Overall a great bike for building confidence on, I had no scary moments with the motor or chassis.

WR 250 2005

The first impression of the WR/TE models is that they look like the CR/TC models with lights on. So I thought the best way to evaluate this is back to back on the special test with british enduro rider Chris Hockey.

Chris and I rode up to the special test, I was on the super fast CR 250 and Chris on the WR 250 enduro specification. He pulled off first, I was right on his tail, across the greasy ground twisting in and out of trees, I started loosing inches on him, I pushed harder through the off camber corners then I lost feet and I was spinning up and bouncing from root to stone.

At the end of the special test, I was 10 seconds down, then we switched bikes. Chris pulled off right behind me, I accelerated away thinking where has the power gone? My first impression was the soft suspension which lowers the bike down and made the back wheel steering a dream. The soft WR power made finding traction a lot easier, after a few minutes out on the test I looked across to see Hockey losing time on me, By the end of the test I beat him maybe not by 10 seconds but enough to make me realise that this bike had been purposely built for this application, that’s why Husqvarna has won 4 enduro world championships and 6 nationals in 6 years.

WR 250 / WR 125 2005

WR 2-stroke models are not CR models with lights on. They are softer powered bikes with heavier fly wheels, built with 18” wheels and a full lighting kit. The suspension has been re-valved, softer and plusher with large fuel tanks and FIM noise limited silencers. Also fitted with speedo’s and side stand, making this bike a 100% road legal. Sold with V55 registration documents these bikes are made to suit the enduro world championship and in that domain they are excellent.

TE 510 / TE 450 / TE 250 2005

The TE models share the same style as their motocross TC models. They come with road lights and fitted with a kick starter – I must admit I only used the electric start which is a blessing.

The TE felt like a softly suspended bike with a flattened power band. They come out of the shop with everything done, so they could be pushed straight into a FIM world championship parc ferme and pass all technical inspections.

This I believe is great value for the enduro rider, as it is expensive and time consuming, trying to make a motocross bike into a road legal enduro bike; and in fact some clubs will not let you use a converted motocross bike.

After 10 models it became a bit confusing what’s what, so I put together a chart to make it easier to shortlist a bike which would suit you more, first thing to remember.

CR
Close ratio, full power, motocross/super-x 2-stroke

WR
Wide ratio, soft power, road legal, enduro/trail 2-stroke

TC
Full power, motocross/super-x 4-stroke

TE
Soft power, road legal, enduro/trail/dual sport 4-stroke

Conclusion

Husqvarna make a wide range of enduro / motocross and dual sport bikes, and we had the pleasure of testing all their latest models. The one thing that stood out to me the most, was that each bike was built for their own purpose and discipline and when the bikes are used in these areas, they excel.

As a potential customer I feel you have to make a choice as to where will you use the bike the most? What type of track you will be riding on? What type of racing you will use it for? And what level of rider you are? With Husqvarna’s range of adult bikes, they do make a bike for everyone’s needs.

I would like to thank Mike Carter - Husky Sport and the Husqvarna group for their hospitality over the 3 days.

Note:

Husqvarna has signed a financial deal with Proton to secure their future in the development of their bikes.

They have also secured a factory entry in MX1 & MX2 class for 2005.

Kind regards,

Karl Prestwood

Tests of the 2005 2 stroke's YZs coming soon!!

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Hi Bud - the '04 and '05 WR250's are not the same as CR's. The valving is different, the steering offset is different and the engines are in a softer state of tune (analogue ignition vs the CR's digital) and I think different exhaust systems. This year the factory were offering CR250's with a WR kit as an option (alongside the WR offering) to move a few CR's. You would still have to spend a bit of money to get it as enduro friendly as the WR (The kit didn't offer different suspension settings, triples or 18" wheel).

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Hi Vince - talk to Jeff at Jaydee m/c's near Melbourne (link previously on this thread) He'll put you right on jetting/trouble shooting for those bikes.

roostafish

Jul 14, 2000
I'll keep saying it when I get the chance. I love riding my Gas Gas 250, but my next bike will be a Husky WR 250 (if it's still made by then). Of all the bikes I've ever owned, my two Husqvarna's were the most solid, reliable dirt bikes.

Top Bottom