Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
I want to know how much and if its a good idea to put a wide ratio tranny(well, you know the tranny gears) in a mx bike like a Kx 250.. I like the KDX and its 6 speed but not enough for me and i like the punch of my friends KX and wonder if i put a wide ratio in there,,, would i be satisfied??? I know that ill have to give up a little of both worlds but let me know if u have done this and the result!!! any help would be nice ,,,Thanx!!! -Speedy

Mr. Clean

~SPONSOR~
Nov 8, 2001
wide ratio trans.

In my opinion it is not worth the cost plus you would find your engine would not have the power to pull the gears with authority. Here is a cheap experiment to get an idea of what I am talking about, install a 15 tooth counter shaft sprocket on your bike for about 20 dollars. Except for a tall first gear, you will experience a true wide ratio transmission. I have tried to the same and have found it to be to much work . Now if you just want to trail ride at a pace less than a race pace, You may like the change.

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Or you could just sell it it and buy a KTM EXC, and get aluminum bars, big tank, 18" rear wheel, heavier flywheel weight, and all the other stuff you're gonna want to do to your KX to make it off-road worthy! (Not to mention that EXCs' have lights for those summer night rides!):D

Speedy

Nov 12, 2001
Nawwwwww,,, I cant have a KTM... Little to much money 4 me!! I heard there a good bike but im stickin with Kaw. or Honda.. Some of my friends and Brother(i use to work there)work at a Honda place and i can get good deals as long as its a Jap. bike.. :D But thanx for the opinon!!! Ill keep it in mind!!! If I was togo KTM i might as well go all out and buy the GasGas(to much money) I guess i should just stick with the cheaper bike that way when its wrecked or needs fixin its cheap.. Im hard on bikes and ive been riding a KDX for years(posted on "readers rides" pg. 10)!! But ill keep lookin till i find the one.. Thanx everyone -Speedy;)

ktmboy

~SPONSOR~
Apr 1, 2001
Well, option #2 might be a big bore ( KX500, CR500), with tall gearing and a torque pipe. You'll never use all the power, so it'll last longer. Out west here some desert riders go 10 years on a top end with the 500s!
BTW-KTM just seems expensive until you get your calculator out and start adding up what it would cost you to add all the extras it has to your MXer. I would agree though that repairs will be a tad pricier.

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
Originally posted by ktmboy
I would agree though that repairs will be a tad pricier.

Well from what I understand the parts are more than just a tad, more like at least twice as much and even more. I've also heard that it can be a challenge to get parts in a timely manner. I've considered a KTM but those issues prevent me from taking a dive, not to mention my bike is new yet and I'll get killed if I buy another one already.:eek:

Top Bottom