jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Well it's getting to that time when it's just not going to be possible to have a good ride. I'm not really a big fan of rainy muddy rides that you end up spending more time on the ground or at home cleaning your bike then you do riding. So I figured I wanna get my bike to top shape before next years riding season. I won't be doing any major repairs this winter, had a top end put in right at the end of April when I got the bike and I figure on doing another one sometime next summer. So that just leaves the odds and ends of basic maintence.

The first thing I wanna do is change the coolant. I was thinking of getting some Maxima Coolanol, or the Honda brand stuff since I haven't read some of the posts about Engine Ice, which originally looked really good to me. So anyway that's a pretty easy job and 64oz of coolant is all I need correct?

I was also thinking about doing all the greasing necessary, that's not too difficult of a job for a novice like me right? And would the Bel-Ray stuff work good for everything?

My last question was what to do about the gas in my bike right now. The last ride I took was sometime in the middle of October really and the gas has been in there since then. It's probably close to a half tank or more and I figured it's probably best to through it out...but would it kill me to leave it in there and if I have a day where I can take a little put just to use that instead of wasting new gas and oil? Or is it best to just drain it and toss it?

I appreciate all your replies...thanks.

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
I usualy drain the coolant mix and fill with straight anti-freeze. I take the spark plug out, pour a teaspoon of 2 stroke oil down into the chamber, kick over a few times and put the plug back on. I take the chain off the bike, clean it, and store inside somewhere. You definately want to drain that gas out of there, and take the carb off, and drain the float bowl.

jaypro55

Aug 6, 2001
Well I don't totally not plan on riding it this winter which is why I won't get straight anti-freeze in there. I figure I probably will drain the gas, I'm just not a wasteful person and I hate tossing out cash like that but oh well.

Peer Lovell

Nov 25, 1999
You have to drain the gas. If you don't it will varnish over the winter and gum up your carb. Give the stuff to someone wth a snowblower if you are concerned about waste.

Top Bottom