RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Simple. Send it to me. I need a winter bike to beat on ;)

Seriously, do you plan on storing it outside or in below freezing temps? If so make sure the antifreeze is up to snuff. Also I usually top off the gas tank to prevent any condensation from forming. I always drain the oil and replace it with fresh stuff and squirt some 2 cycle oil in the spark plug hole and kick it over a few times.

Even if you store it inside it’s a good idea to do this anyway.

In the spring drain the gas from the tank and carb and use it in your lawnmower. I’ve had some luck (the bike started and ran OK) with gas stabilizer in the tank but always wondered if the gas is really still good. Also check for critter nests in the airbox. They like to make their home in places like that.

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Another thing to add to RM_Guy's list. When you go to start it up again in the Spring pull the reed block (Have pston at TDC) spray some premix in so that you can get a little lube down in your case, your rod berings will be dry. In my case seince we don't get much snow down here I will probably riding into December and starting uo again in mid to late Feb. Of course I will be warming her up a couple times a week to keep everythig running.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Another option on geting your cylinder coated to prevent rusting: we do our bikes and sleds the same way, just use the engine fogging oil found at your local shop and follow the directions. This will put a nice coat of oil on everything from the carburator throught the exhaust. Cheap insurance.

jmics19067

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 22, 2002
If you have a garage or workshop don't store it for the winter,restore it for the spring. If you have the aptitude,space and time tear it down ,paint the frame , inspect any and all pieces, clean, polish,lube and/or repace all that needs to be done.Use the manual and a torque wrench and put everything back together the way it was meant to be. Try and time yourself a bit so that you won't be bored during the non riding time and when the weather gets nice you have a fresh piece of pride and joy that you only have to gas -n-go.

Well thats what I do anyway. If you do this every year you will only have a minimal of downtime during the summer for normal maintenance.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Good point Jmics. That's what I do and I only end up storing it for a short time. My problem is if I fix it up too quickly I see a ready to ride bike far too often throughout the winter and I get the itch to ride (and no, not enough to freeze my butt off in the snow and ice...been there, done that;))

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
We're kind of fortunate on that aspect RM. We usually get one or two days a month that are "tolerable" for winter dirt bike riding. It's always a slippin' slidin' put her on the ground type of deal, but fun nonetheless. :)

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
What is this "winterizing" thing you guys are talking about?:p Sorry, but I couldn't imagine HAVING to put my bike away for months at a time. Good luck

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Originally posted by a454elk
...Sorry, but I couldn't imagine HAVING to put my bike away for months at a time. Good luck
What about when it's so hot that the rubber melts off the tires and the gas evaporates right out of the tank :p

a454elk

Mexicutioner
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2001
That happens anyway when I ride.

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Gas stabilizer, is it ok to use in a two stroke?
I know I use it in my Harley and everything is fine the following spring. but a 2stroke? also do you empty the carb bowl or leave it full with the gas with stabilizer in it?
i had a bad experience the first year with my Harley, I closed the **** valve and let the engine run until it stalled, the following spring, all the "O"rings in the carb were dried out, and had to be replaced.
Thanks
Tom

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
I either drain the gas, or put some Sta-bil in the tank. I keep the bikes in a spare bedroom over the winter. Every now and then I kick it a couple times with my hand while holding the kill switch in.

BBdotcom

Sep 26, 2004
Thanks Someone, i was wondering about the mixed gas and stabilizer, and thinking about it now, they say to fill the tank full to reduce the chance of moisture getting in the tank but thats to prevent rust in a metal tank.
Tom

syko

Jan 10, 2004
I wish i could store mine in a bedroom, parents would kill me though, so for now i'll have to make do with the shed.
luckily though, we just get more rain in the winter over here so, i still go riding a couple of times a month in the winter.
in between those rides though, it has about a hundred and one blankets, bike covers etc all over it,

reelrazor

Jun 22, 2004
As far as fuel stabiliser, go to your local small engine shop and get yourself some Briggs and Stratton fuel conditioner. It doesn't REEK like Sta-Bil, is a bit cheaper and works at least as well. It is also labeled safe for two stroke use.

As soon as something that has Stabil in the tank is fired up I get crushing headaches, but it doesn't happen with the B&S stuff and in the past 4-5 years it is all I use at my shop and in my own equipment. I keep a maintenence dose in my generator at all times.

Top Bottom