bll

Aug 24, 2006
02 cr 250

man i don't know, but thought i'd chime in.

i have an 02 cr250 that i have made pretty slow i guess by putting a 13 oz flighwheel weight in her. but for some reason i can do it all with this thing in the woods.

i am fortunate though, for MX i have an 05 450. i do love the 250 on the MX track but it is a tad slow there.

i suppose if i had to settle one one bike for all of it, the two stroke would win out. that being said i'd proabably choose a faster one, like a yamaha (heck i don't know???) and then put a flywheel weight in and run it.

oh yea, jd jet kit helped the jetting, very crisp down low now.

fwiw

TheGDog

Sep 17, 2007
rodH said:
From what I have read in different sources, the 97 is one of the BEST RM motors. The 96, 98-2000 were similar. The exhaust valve on the non-97 bikes weren't as good; durability wise, power wise and drivability wise.

Oh man... I had a '97 RM250. And once I got that thing I wondered why they even bothered to make 500's. (that is, until I purchased a '96 KX 500 yesterday.... O-M-F-G!!!)

That RM was a shotgun. Dive her thru the turn then pull the trigger... BOOM!

And the suspension was great once sag was dialed-in. Didn't even need to get stiffer springs. Normally I HAVE to with my fat ass (5'10" 200-210 Lbs)

ZOMBIE666

Mar 24, 2006
bll said:
man i don't know, but thought i'd chime in.

i have an 02 cr250 that i have made pretty slow i guess by putting a 13 oz flighwheel weight in her. but for some reason i can do it all with this thing in the woods.

oh yea, jd jet kit helped the jetting, very crisp down low now.

fwiw

Agreed, i was ready to sell mine, threw in the jd kit and got it spot on and the thing rips now. with all the jetting issues ive heard with these CRs im willing to bet most who said they were slow just had them jetted incorrectly. Mine was a dog before i got it spot on (and it took a while)

mojonito

Aug 24, 2005
if one can keep the 02's high the revs they are beasts (jetted well). i used to use mine for open desert riding, lots of sand and whoops and it was a blast. i probably would be miserable in the woods though. one of these months i will get to ride it again.

Rice#67

Dec 17, 2007
I haven't ridden too many 250's, but my dad's 1989 CR250 has to be the slowest revving bike I have ever rode. Lots of lowend and lowmid, no upper mid and no top. Good trailbike though. Feels like it stops at 6000rpm. Does this sound right to anybody that's ridden one? I was going to take it apart and see if maybe the powervalve was stuck or something but haven't done it yet.

I have a 01 YZ250 that noone has said anything bad about? So far it is the best 250 I have ridden... if you like a smooth powerband with power everywhere. I just bought it and haven't jetted it yet either. Next step, pro circuit pipe, V-force, and rejetted.

tcuda499

~SPONSOR~
Dec 2, 2007
I would saythat most of these "WORST MOTORS" aren't really the worst. Just not set up right,or not properly cared for or mantained.I thought my 91 cr250 was a screamer till I got my 04 cr250 with some slight mods and proper jetting. both fast but can't compare new to older. I'll take my 04 any day over my 91.I will say the 83 cr had some bottem end though.Bulldozer tuff to!!!

jasonent0613

Apr 20, 2008
lots of people say that the o2 cr250 was slow but i think mine is quicker than all of my friends 250's and my brother (previous owner) said it was faster than all his friends 250's aswell. i think that some people just need to get their jetting spot on and it will kick your arse a little bit.
for my next bike im tossing between a newer yz250 or cr250.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
'03 RM250. Rocket of an MX motor.. nothing way down low, then huge hit that carries to an intense top end. Big mistake for slippery, rocky woods riding though (bounced off many a tree... buddy of mine rode it and said it was the "flat nastiest" 250 he'd ever ridden)... I've ported, jetted, V-Force, 12oz flywheel weight, thick Moose reed spacer, Q spark arrester... running more like a torquey '06 and up motor now.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
What about the guy bagging the 02 CR250? I was under the impression it was the most potent machine honda made. Till the guy who does not know how to tune it shows up! Or the guy who gets one used and abused? And it is possible to buy a one off lemon straight off the floor, does not make all of them bad.

Tom68

Oct 1, 2007
An honorable mention must go to any pre-powervalved 250.[/QUOTE]
Fun Fun Fun Crash Fun Fun Crash Fun Crash Crash.My brother got 4th on an IT250H in a timed open Enduro out of 98 entrants on modern bikes this year, 380km in two days.That was obviously fun he's in another one this weekend and he's opened up the muffler so that will probably end in a crash.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
Favorite of all time was the '98 KX, most powerful probably the '97 CR. The KX was all bottom and the CR was all mid-to-top, and both hauled ass. Worst I ever rode was a '94 RM250, it was just a dog when it came to power delivery, no bottom, a half ass surge in the midrange that seemed to last about 300rpm's, and no top end.

Top Bottom