Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
I am seriously considering upgrading from my 98 KDX 220 R to a new 2001 Yamaha WR426. I was wondering if the guys riding the wr's where having any re-ocurring maintainence problems. Stuff like weak bearings, carborator problems, ect. Are you guys finding it to be a decent trail bike or more effort than was expected. I like my KDX but would like to go back to a four stroke, and what I have read about the WR has been quite impressive. Any comments would be much appreciated Thanks

------------------
ride it like you stole it
98 KDX 220R
92 Yamaha TDM 850

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I had the same apprehension when I bought my '99 WR400. I was coming off an XR250, and wanted the same ultra-high reliability.

I'll say that I've been very impressed with the WR's reliability. I'd say it's BETTER than the Honda. I had to keep an eye on the valve adjustment on the Honda. While I check it on the WR, it's only been out once. It hasn't changed since then.

Areas to watch on the bike:
1) watch grease in the head bearings, the hot oil melts it out. Use LMX red grease, it doesn't melt out like Bel-Ray waterproof grease.
2) change the oil religiously like any four stroke.
3) Yamaha needs to learn that everyone hates the stock seat and tank. Save your pennies for a YZ seat and aftermarket tank (or buy a used YZ tank - there's a bunch on the market).

------------------
Mark
'01 YZ250F
'99 WR400F,
'98 Royal Star TC
'97 XR250
'96 XR200
'99 XR100

Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
Thanks for the Info MWEISSEN it's much appreciated. I noticed that you have a o1 YZ250F on your list of bikes, is it as good as they say.

vetwfo'er

Dec 18, 2000
KDX:
easy to ride, yet very capable
forgiving power
very "flickable"
low maintenance
low seat height
easy to pick up
cushy seat and suspension

WR:
needs to be ridden aggressively
awesome power
can be a handful in technical sections
grease the link and steering head
not for the vertically challenged
270 pounds
hard seat and suspension that can handle triples

Before buying make sure to ride one. They are radically different. If your light the 250f might be a better choice, but certainly not in the power class of the big bore.

vetwfo'er

------------------
99 WR400f, White Bros E-Series silencer and tapered head pipe. YZ seat and tank. Thumper rad guards, works frame guards. Soon to be MX-Tech suspension. SETRA, AMA, Happy Ramblers MC.

Courage is not the absense of fear. It is the judgement that something is more important, than fear.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
SureShot, heres my 2 cents:

I find my 2001 WR426 to be the best bike I have ever owned, or ridden. I have previously owned a CR250, XR600, and DR350. I dont particularly believe some of the things that I hear most people discuss:
1) It starts rather easily. 2-3 kicks. Some say its a pain in the a$$. Not true.
2)Yes, the seat is hard on your butt, however I think $50 will vastly improve comfort. I have not replaced it yet. So far after about 4 rides or so, It doesnt bother me that much. I dont sit as much as some other riders, so maybe thats why. (Maybe I have some more "back"?) LOL!
3) It is NOT a difficult bike in the woods. I am able to handle it just fine. A few times I had to stop and turn it around, and it felt a little tall, but thats it.
4)At high speeds, it feels very comfortable. In the whoops, the head doesnt shake, nor does the rear end "wander".
Some of the things I REALLY love:
1)AWESOME POWER! I was riding a XR6 just before I got this bike. Yes, its a load, and also has alot of power, but I dont miss 1cc of it. The WR screams when it hits the meat of the powerband. I noticed the bike is not extremely happy lugging around, but man when you get to hit that throttle-BE READY!!! I am SOOO happy with the power, I could talk about it for days!
2) It does not feel like 270 pounds. I think its more like 250-260. I never ride with a full tank of gas unless I really need it. I usually go with 3/4 tank so that may weigh a bit less. However, the bike does not feel heavy AT ALL. Anyway you cut it, if your not used to the extra weight of a big bore four stroker, you could always go with a 250F. I have heard alot of great things about them.
3) I love the suspension! I am 5'11, and weigh 226lbs. I am able to ride faster thru whoop sections than I ever have in my life. I have been riding for 24 years! I ride almost half MX, and half trails, and have yet to find a reason to revalve, or do suspension mods.
Simply put, if your not a big guy, or want an easier bike to ride trails I would recommend a 250F. But, if you want the power and scream of a big bore, go for the 426. You cant miss.

ps- I used to be a Honda guy-NOT ANY MORE!
smile.gif

------------------
2001 WR426F
"To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first."
- Shakespeare

sodhead

Feb 13, 2001
I've had my WR400F for about a year now, and except for it being a bit heavy, I couldn't be happier with the bike.

My previous bike was an XR600R, so I was used to a bike that was pretty much bullet proof with monster torque, and loved it! I was at first a little disappointed with the WR's power (a bit less torque than the 600), but after I learned to keep up the RPMs a bit, I began to realize the true potential of this machine... awesome!

It has been every bit as reliable a bike as the XR was for me. Just normal maintenance. Darn near starts on the first kick every time too,, I don’t care it its cold, warm, just after fallen,, whatever,, one boot and its back at it again. I hear guys complaining all the time about the 5 valve yamaha's being so hard to start, and I'll admit I had a little trouble with it at first, but once you get the correct technique down it really is as simple as the owners manual makes it sound.

I'm sold!

ButtonFly

Dec 8, 1999
I am 6'3" and maybe 200 all geared up. I have had my WR400 for about a year, and am just now getting GOOD at riding it. It takes more effort to toss it into a corner than I was used to (riding an older RM250 AKA lightswitch. If you wanted to turn, twist the wrist, and the back end broke loose). I ride lots of varied terrain, from MX, lots of dune riding, trail riding, and desert. Great bike for everything. Not for the short, unless they are willing to be WAY in the air. It does feel tall if you let off the gas in a corner, because it will fall into it. You HAVE to be on the gas. Especially on the jumps. With WR timing the engine has a lot of compression braking, so carving turns requires more throttle control than a two stroke, which in my experience has less of a tendency to dump you into the dirt. YZ timing lessens the effect, but it is still noticable. All in all, a GREAT bike, and I would not trade it for anything. Unless Yam comes out with a NEW WR 400+cc that is 30 pounds lighter
smile.gif

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Sure Shot,

The new 426 WR turns better and has a more usable low end than the old 400 with its revised steering head angle and a few more cc's. Not sure if the 426 carb has all the bugs worked out like the YZ426 or not.

All I can say is try to get about 2 hours on one before you make your decision. They are a fine, powerful bike with good suspension, but alot different than your KDX. Also make sure if you ride one that it is uncorked so you get the real experience. I don't know what the terrain is in NB where you ride, but lots of Alberta riders have the KDX and having been there I can see why.

Bigger, faster riders seem to love the bike, slower trail riders generally don't much care for it, and fast smaller guys seem to migrate to something else after awhile from my observations. There is a group of WR400 riders in our club and not a one of them is a small guy. I'm 6 foot and 170 and the only reason I have one is because I wanted an agressive bike for dual sport riding I could fill up at the pump. It also serves as my backup enduro bike, but for tight woods riding I much prefer my KTM 300 and would like to have the WR250.

Don't get me wrong, the WR426 is a great bike. The transition from your KDX could be a big one though. Good luck, TexKDX.

[This message has been edited by TexKDX (edited 02-21-2001).]

DADCRASHED

Dec 18, 2000
Sureshot, read my posted reply in
"WR,No smile for me".
The reliability is there as far as parts and performance. The feel of the bike is different, but its a good feling once you understand how to use it.

Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
Thanks Guys for all the input it is all very helpful. I think that what I really need to do is find a 426 and try it out. My only real complaint with the KDX is mixing gas. On those long trail rides it is a little bit harder when you want to pull up to the pumps. The size of the bike shouldn't be a problem as I'm 6'2" 195lbs. Also before the KDX I owned a KLX 650 R and a DR 350, so weight isn't a big issue. My other concern with leaving the KDX is the fact that it is so much fun to ride, most of our trail riding is thru tight woods full of roots and rocks, generaly you never get out of third gear. The KDX is also very forgiving when you get in over your head. The main problem is that I'm human and I forever looking at the grass on the other side of the fence. Good thing I'm married with childeren or I would have a lot of grass to take care of.

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
SS,
Sounds to me like you would LOVE the 426F. Im glad I went for it, I'll never regret it.
smile.gif

Good Luck!

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Sure Shot,
Glad I could help out on your WR decisions.

Regarding questions on the YZ 250F. I've put the bike in my signature since I ordered it that day after I heard rumors about it. Still, I was third on the list at my local shop. I've only had it a couple weeks now, and haven't been able to push it - I don't want to ride it in the snow. But my initial indications are this is one FINE bike!!!

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Sure Shot, if you found the 650 tolerable then you'll love the 426, no questions asked. It too is a relatively forgiving bike (like the KDX) as long as you learn how to clutch it and keep it up off idle in the tight stuff. The high compression motor can do a "cough and stall" when you hit obstacles at really low RPMs with the throttle closed. It is not a bad technique to master for ANY bike, it just is an essential one on these bikes.

I have the 400 and rode a YZ426 the other day in the woods. The 426 is just a thrust-o-matic engine that makes 39.5 to 44.5 HP over an RPM spread from 5,000 to 10,000. It provides a sensation unlike any other bike I've ridden, to have basically a reostat control on 40 horses at such a spread of RPM. The low end is very usable to boot, and the suspension is first rate. The revised head tube angle on the 2000 and 2001 does make a difference on handling. The 426 I rode turns in much better than my 400 does.

TexKDX.

Sure Shot

Aug 20, 2000
texKDX, let me just say that I'm very jealous of you, and everybody else that is riding right now, I'm buried in 5 feet of snow. O well spring isn't to far off and with any luck my street bike will sell and I will make up my mind. The WR 426 really seems to be the way to go at this point cause you just can't beat the tourge and power of a four stroke. I only wish that I could afford to keep the KDX as a second bike if I get a WR as it has been an excellent bike, only time will tell.

Top Bottom