Welcome to DirtRider.Net
FREE FORUM MEMBERSHIP and NO ADVERTISEMENTS.
TURN-OFF THE ADS!

WR250F, No smile for me.

Website
Visit site
I have just switched from a '97 KDX200 to a WR250F. As this particular instant I am not happy about the change. I was quite a bit faster on the KDX. I don't think the problem is power, but more of a handling issue. I can't seem to flick teh WR at all. On the KDX I always was much faster than my normal riding buddy, but now it is a struggle to even keep up with him.

I will say that I only have a couple of short rides on it, but it does not seem to be getting any better. I have lower the fron fork about 5mm, opened the air passages and removed the throttle stop. Has anyone else found the same thing? How long did it take for you to get used to the thumper? There is a HS next weekend I was planning to run, but now I am thinking I should preserve the bike so it sells quicker! Let me know your thoughts.

Don't buy ANYTHING until you check the Gear Finder! PARTS, TOOLS & GEAR.
Try It!
You can't lug it around like the KDX. The YZF/WR has to have it's guts revved out to make power, just like a 125 two-stroke. It does make better torque than the 125's, but it is still a revver.

You are probably also having the usual two-stroke-to-fourstroke crossover dificulties, You have to ride a four-banger with a totaly different style than a two-stroke. The WR 250f can easily keep up with a KDX when ridden well.

Website
www.powroll.com
I used to run tt's on a two stroke in one class, and a four stroke in another. It was a totally different mindset for each bike, even though I was used to it.

My first lap on the four stroke after racing the two stroke I looked like a complete spode every time!

It really takes a different riding style.

Some people can make the switch, others can't. Then again, some riders are faster on four strokes once they get the hang of it than they ever were on two strokes.

Really smooth riders seem to do better on thumpers. Guys who are on the throttle hard, and on the brakes just as hard may not convert very well to a thumper. It just depends.

PJ

Website
Visit site
Get some serious seat time on it before you make any decisions. The previous posts are right on the money, it's a real transition in riding techniques between 2 and 4 strokes. Three years ago, I switched from a YZ250 to a WR400. Thought I'd really screwed up. After awhile, though, I became much faster on the thumper, and last year won the 4 stroke A class in the Texas enduro circuit. Picked up a WR250F last week, just rode it today at an enduro. The transition was MUCH easier, although I can see I will have to adjust my riding style again to compensate for the difference in bikes. One thing I noticed, the stock tire is not very confidence inspiring. If handling is the issue, try a different tire. You might be surprised. Otherwise, the bike was very cool - unfortunately, I rode like a spode and made it look bad. Again, seat time...
Good luck.

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

Website
dirtworks.dirtrider.net
The WR needs to be revved a bit more then the YZF. I rode my YZF today and did some play riding on a buddies WR.

The WR was really easy to ride. The power was easy to control but it wanted to go fast.

I went faster on my bike but I think I could be just as fast on the WR with a little seat time.

The handling is different from a 2-stroke so give it some time.

The first day I rode the YZF I hated it but I quickly fell in love.

TexKDX

Subscriber
Website
Visit site
I've owned the WR400 for over a year now. It is my backup/Dual sport bike. It still takes me 45 minutes to an hour to get used to riding it from my KTM300. Once you get used to it and how it works you can figure out how to go faster.

Website
Visit site
Originally posted by Ivan Liechty:
The WR needs to be revved a bit more then the YZF. I rode my YZF today and did some play riding on a buddies WR.

The WR was really easy to ride. The power was easy to control but it wanted to go fast.

Ivan, pls explain. Do U mean it needs 2 be revved more to make the same HP as the YZF?

Seems 2 me in an enduro needing to rev higher than one would on an MX track means wet shorts...

Website
Visit site
I talked to a guy this weekend that rode the 24 dirtrider test last week he is an a rider who races a kx 500 his favorite bike in the test was the wr 250.I have friends that have switched to the 426 they all seemed slower at first but after a few rides they are faster on the thumper. brett

Website
dirtworks.dirtrider.net
Basically, IMO and this is not an expert opinion mind you, the WR as a result of the extra flywheel weight and extra lbs needs to be revved in the upper RPM's to go fast.

However, down low it is really easy to control but you can't just open the throttle and transport yourself to speed like you can with the YZF.

There is a minimal difference between the two but on the YZF, being used to it, I can go a lot faster. However, after about 10 minutes on the WR I worked out most of the quirks and was going fairly fast too.

I also went up 2 teeth on the rear with my YZF and that really helps the low end punch when you are on the trail and you need to get across logs or through a sand whoop section. The YZF definately suits and aggressive rider more and the WR does't make a non-aggressive rider pay for poor decisions yet allows and aggressive rider the opportunity to go fast.

Website
Visit site
Revved to go fast? In the open stuff, yes. In the tight, this baby will haul without ever getting to half throttle. I just had my first ride on my new bike this weekend in the Ozark mountains. It's performance far exceeded my expectations. Now keep in mind that I am coming off a yz & a CR125 two-smoke, so the thumping is totally new to me. My first impression was Damn this thing is easy to ride. It has all the bottom-end that I could ever want. It is very forgiving and tracks true. One can very easily steer with the throttle and a little body english. The gearing is spot on. 1st is perfect for the tree knocking trial riding tight stuff, and the rock climbs. For regular single-track or single-rut, 2nd is the hot ticket. Once it opens up, let her rev.. and rev it will. The lugging ability on this bike is unbelievable. I was experimenting with it climbing the mountain and on sharp 90 to 120 turns up the mountain it would change to a much lower tone and then wap, wap, wap, wap,wapwapwap......It would hookup and accelerate. I also found that if I lugged a taller gear I could use a wider portion of the power band and could fly while I thought I was only strolling along. The guys behind me(B riders) were telling me that they were having trouble keeping me in sight and yet I thought I was just cruising along. I'm still in shock with this sweet thang. Ask me about my starting experiences with it on the first day and you will hear a little different story though.
Thankfully, I got it all figured out by day two!
Coop

The WR was really easy to ride. The power was easy to control...
I read that, then thought.....wait, this IS a 250cc four stroke we're talking about, right? Then I burst into uncontrollable laughter.

------------------
Kevin
1999 XR600R
badassxr600r@aol.com

TexKDX

Subscriber
Website
Visit site
Originally posted by BigBore:
I read that, then thought.....wait, this IS a 250cc four stroke we're talking about, right? Then I burst into uncontrollable laughter.

Yes, it is a 250, and it makes about 2 horses shy of what an uncorked XR600 makes while carrying 50 pounds less weight. You must have it confused with the RED 250 4 stroke.

bentbars,

It probably is a handling issue. I sat on one of the YZ250F's and it seemed alot bigger than a KDX. You are used to riding a bike that will turn better than just about anything. Even Chris Smith couldn't make a CR250 turn in the woods like the XR250. Put the KDX away for a while and learn just that bike.

------------------
mgorman,
Thumping since 1980
"If the competition is not wasted, the day is"

Strick

Lifetime Sponsor
I have not ridden the WR, but I did ride little thumper's YZ250F this weekend. Once he got me off of it, my comment was: I would buy one of these on Tuesday, if my wife would let me have two bikes.

I love that bike.

I have yet to ride a KDX. Going from my KTM to that YZF was completely natural. No 4strokes blues to contend with at all. For those of you who own this bike --Great Choice!

------------------
Strick '99 KTM 300mxc, AMA & BRC member

Website
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. I will definately commit to more seat time, not a problem. Don't get me wrong for a second I do like to ride the bike; I just want to ride it faster. I will be running a HS this weekend, so that should give me a chance to spend some quality time with her.

Any tips on the dead engine start? I have been having pretty good success starting in general, but usually need to use the hot start. I am going to play with richening the fuel screw to see if that helps at all. I don't see a good start in my future if I have to reach down and close the hot start before pulling away. I plan to do some practicing Sat., but would appreciate a push in the right direction.

Thanks,
Travis