X-Games Enduro-X

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
Did anyone watch the X-Games enduroX last night? I must say that it was one of the better enduroX events that I've seen to date, minus the way that they had the start set up. The track was awesome, and it seemed like the only big-hitter that I didn't see was David Knight. Over all, it was a really good event.

Now on to the ugly... The women's event. It was an absolute TRAIN WRECK.. :rotfl: The entire story of the race was announced in the very first corner. Half of the field slid out on their own, without any bumping or elbowing of any kind, then the first obstacle claimed the first victim of the race as she fell over a log and proceeded to lay in the middle of the track, crying and holding her elbow. That certainly set the tone for the remainder of the race. No less than every 10 seconds you would see the type of undersized, overbiked, and underskilled/uncoordinated carnage that you would expect at a mini's race. As they rolled up to each obstacle, completely tentative and waaaay too slow, you would hear a roar from the crowd as they would stick to the top of the log/boulder/stick/grain of sand and topple down the side of a hill, completely void of coordination and entirely frozen stiff. One would assume that with the amount of falling they did in ONE race, they would have become better at it.

My wife was the first to say what we were both thinking, "that is pathetic! They should feel embarrassed." :rotfl: I couldn't contain the laughter at that point, and from then on we both laughed so hard that we could no longer see the carnage with clear vision because our eyes were full of tears. At that point we relied on the announcers to fill us in on the comedy that was appearing on the screen. I think we found the struggle of the announcers to be what was so funny beyond that point. They tried ever so hard to be respectful, attempting to stay serious with their calling of the race, but about 3/4's of the way through the race they could no longer contain their amusement and just gave in to the laughter.

After the race was over, the absolute worse thing that could happen for the women did: they immediately ran the mens finals.

Now, I'm not trying to compare women athletes to men, and I'm positive that most of those women on that course that day could probably spank ME around all over a track as I'm sure that their training and skills far exceed mine. However, I would never display my inabilities on international t.v. and ever expect people to take me seriously. It would be better for the women competing in that event in the future if they would just show their results and leave the images of the event to only be filled in by our imaginations because I'm sure that we would provide a much better picture of the race than to see that actual event.

Flame on...

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Tuned in just in time to see Maria Forsberg interviewed after winning the women's gold, so I missed the entire women's race. I'll have to look for it on YouTube or reruns. Sounds like total carnage.

I agree the track was awesome. Great challenge for the men.

The ESPN coverage for the men's final sucked, though. I know it's hard to televise a live race, but it seemed like the cameras missed most all of the passes and crashes. McGrath would start to get excited about a battle or an incident, and the cameras would not show what he was talking about.

A few times I could catch a glimpse of a big crash or a pass in the background, while the cameras followed a lone rider lap after lap.

Frustrating.

wake_rider

Feb 21, 2007
You're right about the coverage. It was obvious that they're used to filming events where the attention is on one athlete at a time. They had plenty of camera angles, but they just never made those numerous switches between racers that race fans are used to. They had the same problem while broadcasting the rally races, as they zeroed in on one racer and the rest of the action was only heard and rarely shown. I think they need to hire some Supercross cameramen and control-room producers.

Dirtjunkie85

Mar 2, 2010
The coverage for both the endurocross and best whip was horrible. Most of the time they would show the take off then switch to a different camera angle right as they were pulling their whip back around. I'm a big fan of the whip and love to see all the different styles so it was aggravating to not see the whole thing.

Going back to endurocross though I was pumped that they included this event this year and hoped it was going to be good. I was very pleased, probably one of my favorite events of the whole X-Games. I do have to agree that the women's was a little pathetic though. Hopefully they will save those ladies the embarrassment and have them just stick with the Moto-X event.

I've got to add step up was pretty sick this year as well, I was pulling for Renner but all in all it was a good even!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
:YES:Mr. Hankey going for an award of some kind ... :p

Top Bottom