eng208

Nov 27, 2002
Hey, I need a little help. I fixed up an old 88 XR80 for a friend of mine to give his son. It ran great. Started first kick, everytime. Well, when the son got it Christmas morning, he rode it around with the choke on (not knowing the difference, but I was not there) and fouled out the plug. I put a new plug in this morning and it ran fine for about 30-40 minutes and then started popping at low rpms. I pulled the plug and it was BLACK, bad. I cleaned it but it continued to pop and sputter. I put a new plug in it and it ran good but I pulled the plug after 5 minutes and it was black also. It sounds to me like the mixture screw needs adjusting, but which way? The screw is on the air intake side, so would it need to be screwed OUT to lean the mixture or in? Does it need to be leaner or richer? It looks like it has been run on choke but I know the choke was off.
Thanks
Chris

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Hey ENG: Those little 80's and the 100's were known for wearing out the orvice that the slide needle mates into! WHen they oblong this brass hole fuel runs in along the needle making them run rich - the only thing you can do is drill out the old and press in new (shy of buying a new carb body). Because Honda chose to use the small "D" series plugs on their XR's plug blackening is a MAJOR problem!!
Also make sure that the air filter is clean and not overly oiled as this will cause it too.
Another problen I have experienced with them is the choke mechinism itself. make sure that when you push the lever down the choke plate is being raised all the way up!
Woodsy

HiG4s

~SPONSOR~
Mar 7, 2001
I had a problem with my son's old XR100 running hot, popping and fouling plugs. I replaced all the jets with new. The pilot jet was partially clogged. And replaced the air screw, if they have been over tightened ever they will have a ridge around the point and not adjust properly. This cured all our problems.

Top Bottom