ihillig

Sep 25, 2001
I have a '99 xr100 that i wanna sell, but latlely its been smoking like hell, ecpescialy when it is fisrt started. im hoping its nothin major, it does not smoke when on idle, and runs about the same as it usualy does. it's just white smoke coming out of the exaust. my plugs seem to foul easily. why should i do to diagnose this? i wanna know as much as i can before i rip the damn thing apart. whats the average going price for a '99 xr100? its in decent condiotion, and im probly gonna re-do the plastic on it with armstrong floor ploish or plactis renew or something. i appreciate any help you have for me. ihillig@yahoo.com

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
ihillig.

Smoking on start-up would indicate bad valve guide seals. This would be unusual for such a new bike unless it got very hot at one time or another. If it continues to smoke after warm up, then it could be worn or broken rings.

You may want to pull the top end and check these things.

Not sure what it would be worth.

Just my $ .02

Ol'89r

23jayhawk

Sponsoring Member
Apr 30, 2002
As far as the smoking, 89'er has probably got it, especially if you notice mostly after start up. If it is more blueish (oil), and smokes under heavy cylinder loading & higher revs, suspect rings then. Just a quick thought - sure there is no water/condensation in the oil?

Resale - this will probably bring a flurry of responses, but everyday dirt bikes lose about 10% per year for the first 5 years or so. However, condition and regional demand can make the most impact. In this part of the midwest, 2 to 3 year old XR100's don't stay on the market more than a day or two. LOL

Mikey350D

May 27, 2002
I just went thru this with an XR80
Son sucked in gallons of mud and elipicated cyliner.
With valve cover removed I could hear blow-by in bottom end during compression.
ontool.com has 10mm adaptors for compression gages.
Also have XR100: Can hear no blow by
This should rule out ring/cylinder problem.
Next would be valve seals
Also moved needle up/down just to confirm smoke was from oil.

Mikey350D

_SOLO_

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 15, 2000
I had a '99 XR100 we sold it in 2000 for $1500. Only was for sale 3 days and somebody snatched it up. Not sure how much it would be worth now.

Top Bottom