sCarey

Jan 27, 2006
Hey Folks,

I just picked up an '88 Honda XR200R form my son and I need to replace the chain (I Think?). The sprocket are not worn badly but there seems to be alot of side play. and the first time I rode it, I lubed it with Liquid Wrench since it was very stiff from sitting a while.

Question: What type of chain is on this bike? Is there a Chain # (420,520)? that I can use to by an aftermarket Chain?

TIA,

sCarey

nickyd

Sep 22, 2004
520 chain by 108 links. stock gearing is 13/47. you're better off in the long replacing both sprockets and the chain together.

sCarey

Jan 27, 2006
Thanks

Thanks for the advice,but the bike sat for a long time and I can tell that the sprockets have little to moderate wear, so for a beginner bike on a kid's buget, ( yes, he wants to earn it all on his own), we'll just do the chain for now and keep an eye on the sprocket wear. I'm sure he'll break lots more stuff before his buget demands new sprokets, and then we'll do the whole works.

Thank for the advice,

Carey

BTW: Raced Flat Track - ''74-'78' , placed 3rd in PA state, won York Fair Grounds twice (Big Track in Eastern PA), raced 250 class motocross, eastern PA and NJ, Trials, Ossa 250 class '74-'82. Loved every minute!

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
If there is any wear showing at all on the sprockets now, that can help to ruin a new chain.
If the rear is a steel sprocket and showing wear, you really shouldn't run it any longer.

TimberPig

Jan 19, 2006
dddelfeld said:
Does anybody by chance know the part numbers to convert an XR 200r to a lighter 420 chain?

Why would you want a weaker, less durable chain?

I doubt they specifically list anything in 420 for that bike, since it comes with 520. You would probably have to match up the spline size and count for the counter shaft sprocket, and the bolt pattern for the rear sprocket, and then determine the number of links you need in the chain.

Top Bottom