XR250 won't start

i have had my 2000 xr250r since it was new. To start and xr you must do the following things.
1. twist the throttle once.
2. put it on full choke.
3. kick it 3 or 4 time untill it fires up.
4. keep it on full choke untill it starts to run funny.
5 half choke. (i ussally put my gear and stuff on now).\
6 take the choke off and go riding.
I find its inporant to just let teh bike sit and idle.
dont hit the thottle or anything.

Ditto on turning the idle up!

Ditto on swapping out the plug.

Make sure the decompression lever is not adjusted to tight.

RH

TexKDX

Subscriber
Basic XR setup is to look at the float level and travel. Generally the level needs lowered and the travel reduced. There are some good how-tos on the internet - just do a yahoo search on "XR Float Level" and see what you get.

My experience mirror's Patmans on my XR280 and 600 - a dozen or so kicks with the choke on while pulling in the compression release seems to do it. Keep the throttle closed for 10 and open for the last 2. Then find TDC and give it a real kick. Be ready to SLIGHTLY crack the throttle after she fires.

Also they put that big idle knob down there for a reason. I crank my idle up while the bike is warming on half choke so I don't have to hold the throttle open. Once warm, re-set the idle for the riding you are gonna do.

If the bike has been sitting, particularly in a warm climate, be sure and get rid of ALL the old gas. Drain the tank and put it in the car or something. Like Patman's brush pile.

I know the original post is old but just in case someone else has the same problem I'll throw my one-cent in.

When I brought XR home the first thing I did being from East Tennessee is cut the handlebars down. The thing wouldn't start for nothing. Figured out I had messed up the adjustment on the decompression lever. I would say if the tech couldn't get the spark plug gap right then there might be some other adjustments to make as well.

I have since removed the decompression lever and cable completely. You don't need it. I believe these bikes have an automatic decompression anyway, seems the manual one is just dead weight.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
The reason my starting procedure is the same as TexKDX's is because that's who learned it to me :)

TexKDX

Subscriber
Hey Super P -

My 280 is still down. Decided to change the rear shock oil, and in the process of removing it found some bad pivot and swingarm bearings. Then while the rear wheel is sitting there, I look over the wheel bearings... one of them is stuck too!

Can't wait to see how it runs with the ported head and HC 284 piston. Hope all is well on your end. Leo.