Status
Not open for further replies.

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
I'm considering switching to a synthetic oil in the XR. I have always ran Honda GN4 in it since it was new, using a 10w40 in the winter and 20w50 in the summer. I change the filter when ever I change the oil, which is about every four to six rides.

Are there any considerations when making the change to synthetic oils?

Are there any brands or types that any of you have better luck with?

Thanks for your help. :thumb:

The^^Rock

~SPONSOR~
Feb 18, 2002
I never had any luck with a fully synthetic oil in my Old 98 XR250. Can you say clutch slippage?
Give it a shot, it may be ok.

But for me I went back to the Shell SX4 blend, never a problem with that one

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
In 10/40 I use the Mobile 1 motorcycle oil sold at local parts stores. It is designed for wet clutch systems and is a full synthetic. The problem is it costs 7-8$ per quart. There are no compatibility problems with dino oil. Drain the old and add the new.

I have been sold on Mobile 1 synthetics for quite a while. I use them in my truck bumper to bumper. Nothing but the best for these expensive engines.

Doesn't Honda make a synthetic oil recommended for use in the XR400? I thought there was a spec called out in the owner's manual.

I will always use a synthetic motorcycle engine oil in my air cooled XR. I have been convinced of the need for it after seeing how high the oil temps get, especially in the desert.

johnmark101

Mar 9, 2003
While we are on the subject, can anyone tell me if the oil change interval can be extended when using synthetics??? If I am going to pay the extra money for the synthetic, I would hope that I could leave it in longer to get my moneys worth.

Lobster

Jan 7, 2002
I run Amsoil 20/50 V-twin oil (read Harley engine) in my DR350 summer and winter. I race lightweight motard with it and changed my oil twice last year or every 3 races and once this spring after a winter of riding on frozen lakes.

If that's not oil abuse, I don't know what is! My KLR650 get it's oil changed every 5000 miles, I use the same oil in there. I also get the oil analyzed too, I'm ready to send my second one in.

High Desert XR400

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2000
Thanks for the input.
I know that Honda makes a synthetic, but I have never checked into it. It might be woth lookin at.
I will also look in the Mobil 1 and the Amsoil and see what they are going for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom