Tylerbb1

Nov 21, 2013
its time to adjust valves on this thing and usually it would be no problem, butnow it is, i can get 3 of the 4 valve cap srew things on top off, the fourth one is "stuck" i guess you would say and the nut shape on top of it has been broken, any ideas on how to get it off???

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
I recommend that before you make any serious attempt you try and get a replacement for the cap. If you have a replacement in hand then destroying the old one is an acceptable means of getting it off. On the other hand, if no replacement can be found then you need to limit the techniques to those that peserve the pieces.

My usual approach to something like thiis is to use a chisel & hammer to drive a stuck nut loose. This tears up the nut/cap pretty bad so you will want a new one to replace it.

Place the sharp edge of the chisel against the outer edge of the cap. Make sure you are only touching the cap and not the valve cover. Give it a sharp rap with the hammer. The chisel will dig into the cap and transfer energy to it.

If you need to salvage the cap then I would recommend trying to fit a smaller wrench, perhaps going to an "inch" size wrench instead of metric. You might want to use a file and/or Dremel grinder to re-shape the nut and make it smaller. This may require a much more extensive tear down to achieve this, however.

Rod

T

Tylerbb25331

ok so i got it of finally and adjusted the valves like normal, ( i didnt over tighten) but now when i go to crank it it will spin over once then lock up, i took the valve cover screws back off and rolled the bike in gear to see what it was doing this is what the valves are doing : exhaust open - intake shut - intake open - intake shut - lock

not to sure if thats clear lol but if you understand what im saying what can this be?

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Tylerbb25331 said:
what the valves are doing : exhaust open - intake shut - intake open - intake shut - lock

not to sure if thats clear lol but if you understand what im saying what can this be?

Silly question,,, is the spark plug still in the head?
If so, you may just be coming up on compression.

If not, you may have adjusted the valves on the wrong stroke causing the valve to hit the piston and lock the engine. When you adjust your valves make sure you are on the correct stroke. All four valves should should be closed with the engine at top dead center on the compression stroke.

Top Bottom