XR440 heavy duty case studs recomendations ?

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
My research indicates that replacing the cylinder head studs with a superior product may prevent some of the blown headcaskets some have experienced with the 440 kit. I intend to install the 12.5:1 kit on my 440 with stage 2 hotcams.

I am awaiting a response from ARP if they have a kit for the honda.
Do any DRNers have any experience with the replacing the four cylinder head studs ?

Thanks in advance,
Tom

Pete Payne

MX-Tech Suspension Agent
Nov 3, 2000
Good stuff . just a little hard to install for the average consumer . I like to do it on the milling machine . This way the new holes are drilled , and tap'd straight .

vision46

Dec 23, 2005
i have a xr440 kit 12.5:1 wiseco with stage2 hotcam ive also have a mikuni tm36 carb.but i havent fitted heavey duty head studs i have a set just in case, but as long as you dont over tighten the normal head studs you should be fine if you over tighten you stretch the threads use a torque wrench and you cant go wrong.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
I have not been able to find any heavy duty studs. Instead I have had bronze inserts machined into the cylinder and will use the standard studs.

Tom

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
When we ran xr500s there was a VW stud we used for the cylinder/head stud replacement.
I'd have to dig up my old notes...
You can also just use grade 8 all thread, cut to length.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Technical question. Are the studs fitted finger tight or must they be torqued to specification ?
The Honda manual does not list torque specifications and in my reading some authors state only install finger tight and some finger tight and use lock tight.
Now the nuts which will clamp to the head to the cylinder using these studs must be torqued to specification.
What are the opinions of DRNers ?
Thanks.

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
the stud end that fits into the case is either an interference fit or has a shoulder to bottom to.
these cases do not have a history of pulling studs out so I would follow the manual.

Top Bottom