Trailryder42

Feb 6, 2000
Was looking thru some old threads and found this and figured I should put some kind of closure to it since I'm the one that started it.

Well, it took 4 years, but I finally did the 440 kit from Thumper Racing. Taking into account everything I learned in this thread, I kept the stock cam and had Kibblewhite valves installed during a valve job. Also replaced the camchian for good measure. As discussed, temps did go up significantly, 30*-40*F oil temps that is, even with running the cooler DPR9Z plug. Wrapping the header tho, dropped temps back to pre- 440 levels.

Since doing the 440 kit a little over a month ago, I have installed the Mikuni pumper and I have to agree with XRs Only, this "is" the carb that "should have been" on the XR.

I also installed a Hebo hydraulic clutch to offset the difficult lever pull from the heavy duty clutch springs that were part of the 440 kit.

Now I'm considering an exhaust can. I don't want it loud, yet it should have better flow and performance than my Gordo modded stock can. Looking at the WB E Series and the FMF Q.

Last edited:

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
Holy resurected threads Batman! Just kiddin ya :) Glad its workin out for ya. My 350 has the Mikuni pumper on it and when I ride my buddies 400 it sure does not have the good throttle response at all. Glad your diggin the 440.

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Has anybody weighed the pistons in the 440 kit ? I would image one would pay the most for the lightest piston. Thumper Racing claim they have a super light piston made by Wiesco. Is this kit exclusive to them ? Which 440 kits has the lightest piston ? How can one make an objective choice ?

Any comments ?

I have an XR400 and am looking at a big bore kit ?

Thanks in advance
Tom

TR

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 17, 2000
Cus, which kit did you buy ? What is the compression ratio of your kit ? My Xr400 runs the j&E 406 with HRC cam and CRD Absolute performance exhaust. I think with the HRC cam I can run the 12.5:1 to kit and use our good Australian fuel.
Thanks in advance.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
Trailryder42 said:
Wrapping the header tho, dropped temps back to pre- 440 levels.
Wow...I love reading the old stuff over again. This place is a trove.

I am very interested in hearing anything you can offer about your header wrapping experience. What convinced you to do it, detailed results, etc...

Top Bottom