Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Get a hold of Bob Murray at Thunder Alley bobmurray@thunder-alley.net (559) 707-7325.

Here's a quicky review I wrote on the basic pipe design http://dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53760

They have a new quiet insert for the pipe that will bring db level closer to the stock Honda numbers when you need it. The Thunder Alley pipe is one of the best mass market pipe designs I've seen to date, the fact that it is an incredible value is just icing on the cake.

RedWingDS

Sep 23, 2003
i have a 00`XR650L and had a Cobra ISDE pipe sound wasnt too loud and it was much lighter then the stock pipe. without jetting the bike it actually looses power. even with a UNI filter.
not a bad pipe for under 130 bucks. my price.

the Pro Circut T-4 with quiet insert is my choice

FMF Q series a decent pipe also

Supertrapp makes a ISD 2 tuneable quiet series is also nice

Mod Edit - SPAM removed.
Do not use these forums to solicit business or your account will be removed.

take a care of a XR and you will have a life long friend :D

Red
"dirt biking good clean fun"

gumby1

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2002
I also recommend Thunder Alley. I bought another one for one of my other bikes because I was so happy with the first one I bought.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
It is difficult to find good honest feedback on exhaust systems.  Many times either because the purchaser of the new exhaust WANTS it to work really well (because of the $$$ spent) or because of the louder tone, there is a perceived increase in power which may not be real.  To make a long story short, many folks have found that the stock system, although ugly and heavy, isn't really that bad compared to many of the expensive shiny pipes out there.  Modifying or removing the insert in the stocker (along with appropriate jetting changes of course) will produce a very predictable shift of the power curve to a higher rpm.  In about 30 seconds turning just 2 screws, you can go from moped-quiet to "uncorked", maybe similar to what Rich described on the Thunder Alley.  On the stocker, the insert even fits in the tool pouch.  The overall tone of the stock system, corked or uncorked, is somewhat bogus though.

I haven't had a chance to try the Thunder Alley pipe, looks like a really nice peice overall, probably your best bet for real honest hp increase. 

Currently my 650L sports a cheaper version of the same rcm design, it's a DG with a diffuser pack on the end.  It's just as heavy as stock, has a much more pleasing tone (than stock), but honestly didn't increase the overall power, although the power curve is a bit different depending on how it's tuned.

Last edited:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom