XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Okay, I can go on and on about seat height, wheelbase, and all other tech specs, but which one is truly better? The one with the proven indestructible motor (XR70) or the slightly larger displacement (TTR90).

Who has experience with either or both? Gimme some insight, please!

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Josh has a XR70 and it is pretty tough. We looked at the 90 but decided to save a few $$$$$$$$$$ knowing it would not be long before he would be in a bigger bike. I only can tell you that he runs it pretty hard on the MX track with the big boys and short of changing oil it is maintenance free. We did take off the ignition switch (kept forgetting key). I don't think you can go wrong with either bike. I am glad I saved the $$$$ because by the end of the year we will be getting josh a cr or yz 80.within one year he out grew the bike, but it is a great starter bike.:moon:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Phillip

My thoughts exactly when getting Jonathan his new ride. The ttr and xr are so similar in size that the $500 difference definitely makes the xr a better choice. A friend just bought his 7 year old the ttr and has had no problems with the bike, goes very well, and his boy loves the ride. We checked out these two bikes as well as the new KLX110, and had decided on the KLX, as it was slightly bigger and would probably last a little longer before needing to upgrade.

We then ran into a super deal on a '01 JR80, and got this instead, it is bigger than the other three, but also very easy to ride. Jonathan has only had two outings on the bike and is already learning the clutch and gears without a problem.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
About $100 more than a TTR :ugg:

The last time I spoke to a Kawi dealer they weren't making any special deals, can't get enough of them, and can't sell them fast enough ! :eek:

The KLX sure looks sweet :cool:

KLX 110 = 26" seat & 141 pounds - $1799
XR70 = 25.5" seat & 126 pounds - $1399
TTR90 = 24.6" seat & 132 pounds - $1699
Suzuki JR80 27" seat height, dry weight 127 lbs - $1899
Yamaha PW80 - 25" and 126 lbs - $1299

Check out this link http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33201&highlight=klx110

Enjoy the confusion Pred :p

Last edited:

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
I'm thinkin' the XR is going to be the way we go, if nothing else, it's because Dad rides red (for now).

_j0kA_

Jan 29, 2002
Get the PW80...

I have a 1996 PW 80 and all I can say is that thing is a BRUTE!!

Im no expert rider, but im 180 pounds and I was trashing that bike on MX tracks, trails, straights, hills, etc.. all summer long ( Appx. 15 hours a week for 2 months straight.. ) without changing tranny oil, cleaning the air filter, no lubing, no adjustments, etc..

That thing is a monster, plus it has a lot of power ( even for my fat @$$ :D )..
( PS: You should have seen all the crashes it has been through!:scream: )
( PS2: It would start first kick every time :D ** most minis do ** )

Heres a picture:

DB_Joker_1.jpg

** Here's my 1978 Z50... This thing hauled too!! **

My_Z50.jpg

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Nope. No 2 strokes. Done mixing gas and buying 2-cycle oil. Forever!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by _j0kA_
You dont mix oil with gas for a PW 80...
. . . Hence the qualifier "buying 2-cycle oil"

(You beat me to it, Senior! :) )

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
The PW80 was also under serious consideration, however as it was a two stroke, I decided to rather get the JR80 (I use the same mixture for my GG as I do the JR). For the price however, it is a great deal !

How old is the little one Pred ? - Is the XR80 too big ?

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Predator2 is 6, and fairly big for his age, but we still have balance issues. I'd just as soon he learn to ride before he has to learn the clutch. Also, I figure it'll be easier to learn balance on the motorcycle than the bicycle. I just have to convince my Buttercup!

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
It looks like the XR70 is the way to go then, when are you going to pick it up ? :D

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Its too bad you dont want to fill up an injector tank with oil every 15 tanks of gas!

I had a 2000 pw80 once. Never broke down, never fouled a plug (I had it 2 years). It is a great riding little bike. It never smoked after warmup, was very quiet, and started so easily. Cant say enough good things about it. It also has an exhaust restrictor that you can remove. The bike is slow and predictible with the restrictor on, with it off its a blast to ride.

Good luck when choosing.

Philip

Dirtweek Junkie
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 15, 2002
Pred that was my problem. I did not want to add a clutch, hieght, balance, as well as everything else to his first ride. The XR70 taught him to ride and as he progressed I installed a clutch lever and had him pull it in every time he would shift and stop to teach him how to use one. Now he is ready for the BIG TIME (at least that what he tells me as he is flying by me on the track). :uh:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Pred, this is your boys first scoot right ?. I started Jonathan on his bike when he was 6, the JR50, and this has lasted him 2 years. Is the XR70 not too big for him, or does he fit it, don't want him to start him on a bike that is too big, may scare him off after a few tumbles. A new XR50 may be the answer, can even add training wheels if need be. These sell for about $1k.

RazorbackDave

Oct 14, 2000
I started my son (he was 7 at the time) on the XR-70, you can't go wrong with it. It was a tad cold natured and it will not run a lick if the air filter is dirty. Due to it's location and size, it's a minor pain to service. He outgrew the bike in about a year and graduated to a 65SX. Now my 10 year old daughter rides the Honda and she loves it.

I paid $1300 brand new for it and turned down $1000 for it recently (its a 2000 model). I should do so well on my other purchases!

Best of all, we can take all 3 bikes out and ride together. The trails are nothing too tough or extreme, but it sure is quality time. Then, we stop and get ice cream on the way back home, probably the best part!

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by BunduBasher
Pred, this is your boys first scoot right ?
Yeah, but he's a moose, Bundu! I don't think he can start on anything smaller, cause it may not haul him around. He has a YFM80 right now (a <gasp!> quad), and loves it to death, but I need to bring him over to the "light side", so to speak. ;)

Top Bottom