ccaruso

Nov 26, 2008
I bought this bike bout a year ago and the previous owner told me i had to have the choke on all the time or it would die. I knew that wasnt right but overlooked it since it ran good. Well I got busy at work and havent rode it in awhile and now it wont run. I cleaned the carb everything looks good but will only start and run for bout 2 or 3 seconds. is this a float prob? need help! Also i did get it it to run for a few min on kickstand but when i leaned it upright it would die. weird. any suggestions would be helpfull!!

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Your guess on the float problem is probably right. The fact that it needs the choke on to run means it's not getting gas through the normal means. If you hadn't said you cleaned the carb I'd say to check the main jet to see if it's plugged but if that's clear your float height might be too high and it's not letting enough gas in fast enough. I don't know what the correct float height for that bike but your local dealer might.

While you are at it, check the jet sizes to see if they are still stock or have been changed.

ccaruso

Nov 26, 2008
gonna try new float.

Thanks for the input. I have been around two strokes for a long time and never seen one act as odd as this one. Im gonna take a stab and change the float. My local dealer is such a ripoff i hate to deal with them but guess i will have to break down and deal with it. after all there is only so many times u can clean the thing and recheck jets.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
You may not have to change the float, just adjust the height. If the float was bad (ie. a hole in it) than you would be getting too much fuel.

TRexRacing

Jul 23, 2002
Before you spend any money a look through all the obvious specs is in order.Is it getting fuel?Is the pilot jet clean?i know you cleaned the carb but humor me,a choke being needed to run tells me 2 things.A-it's getting some fuel to the float bowl.B-Not enough to keep it running.The choke thing is common for low float level and clogged/damaged pilot jet.This is where you should begin diagnosing the running issue.

Remove the float bowl from the carb leaving it hooked up to the fuel supply.Does fuel run out when the petcock is on?No?Check the line for obstructions.Yes determine by raising the float until it stops the needle/seat are good.OK? Then remove the pilot jet and assure yourself it's clean and clear.

Lemme know how this turns out and we can move on if needed.

ccaruso

Nov 26, 2008
Trex thanks

That is some helpfull advice. ihave checked and rechecked the jets (with exception of microscope) and they seem in good shape. I submerged the float in a bucket for bout two min. no cracks no bubbles so i assume its good, like yall said probably the height. I gotta find the specs on it. I havent done the test with fuel line still attached but will try this weekend.

Top Bottom