jpm5151

Sep 11, 2001
Was wondering what the difference is in these two premix oils. I bought Yamalube 2S and it was $16.00 a gallon a whole lot cheaper than most other premix oils available. My uncle told me that Yamalube was a good choice for my 98 YZ250. I didn't know which one to buy and didn't realize it was that cheap until I got the invoice. Is this a good quality premix? Any suggestions on a good clean oil to use. Any help would greatly be appreciated.;)

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Yamalube 2R is a great oil, it is my preference. Yamalube 2S is one of the dirtiest, spoogiest (is that a word? ;) ) oils that I ever tried. I tossed the whole bottle after one tank of the stuff.

jpm5151

Sep 11, 2001
Thanks for the reply Spanky, that is probably one area that you don't want to skimp on. That was a waste of money. Anybody want some premix?

Oct 14, 1999
While I certainly don't know what the difference is between the two, I know that the 2S is marketed as "injector oil". So why (anyone?) shouldn't 2R be used in injector systems? Or this just another tricky marketing ploy?

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Oh man Yamalube 2-S is the crappiest stuff I ever tried just like Spanky has said. It's more of a injector oil for a little PW50. :silly:

Durt Cycler

Trial Subscriber
~SPONSOR~
Nov 13, 2001
Most premix oil brands have 2 different types. One for high performance engines that is pricey and a cheaper injector/premix oil for smaller low performance applications. Yamalube 2-R = racing oil for high performance engines, Yamalube 2-S = cheaper injector/premix oil for low performance engines. This is theory...:)

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
Yamalube 2S is the semi synthetic blend "injector" oil. The "R" is their full-on synthetic race oil. I personally have good performance from the 2S in the kiddies BW-80,(the ULTIMATE test vehicle), low smoke,low spooge, but it is injected so your premix results may vary...

KDX220rm

Uhhh...
Jun 3, 2002
Hate to burst your bubble, but 2-R is a semi-synthetic, it even says that on the front of the bottle.

This is why I switched to Mobil-1 MX2T. Its a full synthetic that's cheaper than Yamalube 2R and I still mix it 40-1. I was a true believer in 2-R until I ran across MX2T.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff
So why (anyone?) shouldn't 2R be used in injector systems? Or this just another tricky marketing ploy?

Mineral based injector oils usually have a different dilutent makeup. Basically they have to control the pour point to keep the paraffin content of the oil from compromising injector flow at lower temperatures. Lower priced oils tend to have have higher paraffin contents and need greater volumes of dilutent to control low temp flow. This isn't to say 2R can't be used in an injector, it's more a case of consideration for these issues may not have been specifically addressed during the design phase.

I ran 2R in road race bikes for years and was always very pleased with the results.

Oct 14, 1999
Thanks Rich. I use 2R in all of my 2-strokes, except the injector equipped ones. Never knew why I needed an injector-specific oil for the PW's; maybe I don't don't. Maybe I'll do some experimentin' (on the PW80 and the Blaster) with the various oils littering my garage from my son's past sponsors;)

ekdenton

Jul 26, 2018
Hate to burst your bubble, but 2-R is a semi-synthetic, it even says that on the front of the bottle.

This is why I switched to Mobil-1 MX2T. Its a full synthetic that's cheaper than Yamalube 2R and I still mix it 40-1. I was a true believer in 2-R until I ran across MX2T.

i bought a pint of the 2R and their is nothing on any of the labeling that says it is semi or full synthetic oil.(maybe they changed the labeling?) So i will save it for the weedeater and chainsaw and mix it 32:1

My KTM manual suggests the full synthetic motorex cross power mixed at 60:1.
I think the important thing is to use the oil that your bike manual suggests, mixed at the oil gas ratio that the manual suggests. If the bike still does not run properly you then may need to clean the air filter or adjust the jetting in the carb to get the correct air/fuel mixture for your elevation/temprature.

Some of the oils like Amsoil say right on the label what the fuel/oil ratio should be mixed at. If the label says "MIX THIS AT 40:1" then don't mix it at 32:1 to save a few hours of wear on the motor......or 60:1 because your previous brand of oil mixed at that ratio. Trust what the manufacturer has tested to be the best mix for their specific type oil. Some oils have additives that will allow them to be mixed up to 100:1, other brands of oil will not. If you have been using Amsoil mixed it 100:1, you probably don't want to buy Yamalube 2R and mix it at 100:1 as you were the Amsoil. Just mix your fuel/oil at the manufacturers suggested mix ratio and you should not have any worries.

jaguar

~SPONSOR~
Jul 29, 2000
South America
2R is made of 60% group 3 oil which is highly refined petroleum oil that is good enough to legally be called synthetic.
But a typical ratio to use it at is 26:1 so expect more smoke and spooge but really I am favoring group 3 oils more than any other right now (for their protection and increased engine power, both due to using a lower gas/oil ratiol than you would with a full synthetic)

Top Bottom