Yet ANOTHER CR450F Question...

Mudboy

Dec 3, 1999
I've gone to almost exclusively dune riding. Has anyone tried one in the sand yet? 426's do pretty good out there, but you see almost all 2-strokes because you have to rev so much. Do you think the cr450 motor would handle being revved all day with a paddle? Just curious...thanks for any input.

Last edited:

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Actually revving isn't the problem, as both bikes (426&450) will out rev the two strokes. The problem seems to be the fourstrokes just don't get up on top of the sand like the two strokes. Whoops and sand are the only places I miss the two strokes they just seem to plane out faster in the sand and stay on top of it.

E-WA

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2001
I had a great time riding the 450 in the sand. Didn't do the dune thing, but sand trails and hills no problems. The sand whoops is where it really shines, power everywhere to keep you moving forward.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Faster in the sand than a 500cc 2 stroke? Hummm...

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
I will guess yesor it will be very close. Agreed, I haven't actually ridden side by side a 500 in sand. I rode a service Honda 500 yesterday at the track and I didn't want to finish one lap on it in comparison. It felt lighter but very cumbersome. You can ride the 450 faster on a track because I don't know anyone who can keep a 500 on the powerband all the way around the track. The 450 has power everywhere. Maybe in the sand with the 500 on the powerband it could pull the 450, but for now save your hmmm's till you ride one! It walked all over the 426! :)

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
We said sand not a track. The 500 will roost all over the 450. My 520KTM in the sand gets spanked by the 500. I KNOW the 520 will walk the 450 in sand(done it). Remember, we are talking dune riding here, not track riding. Im not dogging the 450, it's an awesome bike, just commenting on the dunes question.:D

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
I know you said sand! I will have to find someone still riding one of those outdated dinosaurs to go to the dunes with and get back to you!!:)
Sorry for the track comparison it was fresh in my mind from yesterday. As far as knowing the 520 will walk the 450 it also depends on who's riding. I walked a 520 yesterday from A to Z but I know he wasn't at my level of riding. If the 520 gets spanked by the 500, then you are probably correct so would the 450. I feel the 520 and 450 are very close except for handling. I used to race open class bikes in the sand scrambles in Oregon frequently, and think the 450 will take them all, but proof is in the pudding!;)

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
Good little debate here.;) Two equal riders on a 520 and a 450??? Who wins??? Dont be silly. Not talking about lap times here, just good old HP, roll ons and speed runs. The 426 and 450 are close with the 450 probably getting 3 out of 5 runs. Yea. we've done the comparisons. As far as the 520, well, like they say, no replacement for displacement!!!! Your run against the 520, A-Z, and you pulled him all the way??? Top ended him??? If it was the SX, yea I could see that maybe. But if it was an EXC or MXC, your 450 has one unreal top end. Way different than my buddies 450. Again I'm not bagging the 450 (I am probably going to get one) but after riding and running them this is what our results have been.:) ;)

Last edited:

Strick

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 8, 1999
Large bore 2-strokes are awesome in sand. My '02 400SX is very respectable in sand, but it's not 500Af or even a 380 for that matter.

I have said this before and here goes again; 'nothing beats a big bore 2-stroke in the sand'. Every desert race this year that I can think of, in our local racing association (400 riders or so), especially the really sandy races was won by a large bore two stroke.

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
This good! Glad I can rile everybody up at once! Where do I start? The dinosaur part was a joke to get you guys going, I love 500's power! Did you catch the part about I raced open class for years? And the motor is not outdated, the chassis is!!!!!!! Any argument there? Not referring to the service honda chassis obviously! It is a neat bike, the 450 is just more fun for me to ride.
OK the Destry comment.. I would love to call him to bring his 500 out to race, but he crashed in front of me yesterday very badly and went to the hospital with a broken shoulder or arm and possible leg. We got most of the pieces to his truck. He was on his 125 with a new motor and it seized up in the air in 5th gear and I almost ran him over! I also made the comment about equal ability, if "anyone here" can keep up with Destry on his 500 in sand they are out of my league and wouldn't be a fair comparison! I will let him know if you accept that challenge.

I just got a call from my friend who was at Glamis this weekend on his stock CR 500 and could not keep up with my friend on his stock 450 climbing hills! He got so mad he pulled out his $10K invested alcohol burning, extended swingarm CR 500 and waxed the 450!
Yes my 450 has more topend than who ever made that comment if theirs is stock. I put a White Bros. pipe and took out a pro mechanic to tune it and it came alive all through the powerband! I let Dayton Raper ride it and his eyes lit up very big!!!!! He said it pulls as hard as his XR 650, which he never thinks any bike has that kind of pull, so take it for what its worth. He's the only guy I have ever seen do a whip off a double on a 650! Of course he has a broken shoulder so maybe he isn't thinking clearly either!
Who's next?????????:scream::)

Last edited:

Nverfastenuf

May 4, 2001
I'm up!!! I guess I'll have to break the news to my buddy that his 450 is sick and needs work.:ugg: His 450 will not run with my 520 in the sand and he is approx. 30lbs. lighter than me!!! So therefore I know it will not run with a CR500(yes we have one to compare it to). Funny thing is the 450 is slightly faster than the 426 so I would summize that it is running properly. I guess we will start to see the 450s in hillclimb bikes since they have soooo much power???? I will still wager that a CR500 lined up with a 450 at competition hill at Dumont dunes will spank it!! I think you are going to have a hard time convincing anyone on this forum that has spent any time on an open bike, and has ridden a 450, that the 450 will prevail in the "SAND" run. :think I know you did a silencer on your bike and had it "tweaked", but I doubt it's at the power level of a 500. Again I'm not discounting the 450s awesome prowess, it's a great bike, but lets be realistic, if it had the power of a 500, it would be a handful, like the 500, and therefore hard ride for any lenght of time.:think :) Very few people can ride a 500 to its potential and the same is true of a breathed on 4 stroke!!! Neeeext???? PS. BIGCR, pick up my winnings!

Last edited:

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
A works 250 2 stroke puts out 52hp at the rear wheel -the same as a std 520, a 2 stroke of similar siaze will outgun a 4 stroke but the 4 stroke will be more ridable.If a 4 stroke ever made more power than a cr500 you could easily get it to produce over 60 rear wheel hp which is all but impossible from a 426.450,520(maybe a 540 kit) and if more was needed, a EG big bore on the 500 would be called for:p. I wonder if they carried on developing the 500 we would be that impressed with the current 4 strokes??As i see it we may have better emmisions from the 450 etc but the noise some of them make will get tracks shut quicker than my wallet when the missus wants to go shopping.:D (i have a 02 CR125 to save for you know:confused: )

Last edited:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
We just haven't had a good "my bike is faster than your's" thread for ages so I'll toss my hat in to the ring.

My EGorr ported race gas CR500AF with numerous other top secret motor mods pulls 2 bike lengths on a KTM520 by the time I rev 5th gear out EVERY TIME. The 520 is faster than the 450. Shane Watts rides a 520 and Lorocco rides a 450 therefore I am faster than both of them (and anyone else they have ever beaten).

Makes sense to me.

U2leight

Nov 25, 2000
Yeah, yeah, yeah! All I know is that my 450 runs plenty fast for me on $1.39 per gallon pump gas. I had an 02 520 EXC and it is hands down the coolest bike for trails and desert riding (In my opinion! please don't start another topic on this.) The engines are very similar in characteristics but the Honda handles well on the track. Especially with my extensive tailpipe tweaking!!!!!

("My EGorr ported race gas CR500AF with numerous other top secret motor mods pulls 2 bike lengths on a KTM520 by the time I rev 5th gear out EVERY TIME")
We were comparing stock bikes. :scream:

spl170_btc

May 21, 2000
I have ridden a CR500 in the sand at Florance Oregon and I can say it was one of the fastest bikes out there. I smoked a banchie with nitro up comp hill when it was still open. Not saying that the 450F is not fast (never rode one in the sand yet) but I can't see how it could pull harder then a 500cc 2 stroke.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
We were comparing stock bikes.
Okay, tell ya what. Put the same size/talent rider on a stock 450 and a stock Cr500. In the sand. The subject was not about a track (although an AF would work just fine there). If AJ wasn't broken, you could see what 140 lbs, balls-out on a Af looks like :scream:

If the 450 beats the 500, I'll give you my 250F to use as a pit bike. When it comes to the dunes, the 500 2 stroke rules, end of story.

That being said, I'd love to have a CRF450, just not for a sand weapon. In the meantime? I'm digging being able to spin fast laps on my 250F tiddler. :eek:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Oh yeah??? My Hodaka Combat Wombat gotcha all whupped....so there:debil:

Last edited:

E-WA

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2001
OK.......Who's next??????? This is good.......much better than the Cats & Dog movie the kids are watching. How about which is faster or better through sand whoops? My vote 450.

Top Bottom