You ever notice?

RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
You go into a motorcycle shop and they never have any parts!

I went to a shop where I bought my 03 KDX and asked if they had any 24mm circlips laying around... The kid behing the counter says "Ah, I don't think we'd have something like that" !

What? are you a motorcycle shop or did I mistakenly enter a McDonald's!!!

What they want you to have to do is order them from them instead, so they get their mark up...

What ever happened to customer service in this world? I realize this is a business, but you'd think they would wanna take care of people who drop a couple of grand in the business.

I went to another shop, this one is where I bought my 98 KDX and wanted to talk to the "kid" about grips and whether I should wire them on to my bike or not. He kinda looked at me like an ass and says "That's something only motorcross racers do"!

I am 43 years old and I would never treat a customer like that in my business. Kids now days have no real grasp of courtesy or customer service..

No wonder business' go under with this type of employee.. Sad thing is the owners aren't any better either.

I finally found Circlips at my local hardware store for 30 cents a piece.. Guess I'll go there from now on.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
While I agree with you to some extent on the lack of stock issues, I also understand the lack of stock due to overhead costs. Most of the shops I've dealt with over the years (my current shop not included) don't carry any "special" parts and pieces, unless they are really common to a lot of different machines. Whether or not you have to order an item, you are paying mark-up.

As far as the "kid" issue goes. Get used to it old man. (I can call you that since I'm older than you). Kids only get worse the older you get. A lot of things get worse the older you get.

What was this post about again? :think:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Yeah, and you're riding a 12 year old 2 stroke? :nener:

I've found that around here the larger the dealership is the less support they have for dirt bikes. Street bikes are huge around here and we kinda get pushed to the back. There's more t-shirts and hats than MX gear. Luckily we have a couple smaller dealers who do try to keep a decent inventory, at least for my crf. I had an 02 Rm 250 for a while that no one ever had anything for. Motosport is good for that stuff.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Nope, never noticed it before. I have never asked a parts person for some obscure relation to parts before either. The cir-clip is really 24mm? Make, model and year would have sufficed. Fredette is the only parts person in the country I could ask such a parts request from, even he might ask for what? Vintage Bob

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
RoadDawg said:
You go into a motorcycle shop and they never have any parts!

I went to a shop where I bought my 03 KDX and asked if they had any 24mm circlips laying around... The kid behing the counter says "Ah, I don't think we'd have something like that" !

What? are you a motorcycle shop or did I mistakenly enter a McDonald's!!!

What they want you to have to do is order them from them instead, so they get their mark up....

Next time ask for the part by application. Most young parts people only know what the computer tells them. If you were to ask for a water pump circlip, (just an example) then the parts guy would know what to look for.

You can't expect shops to stock every part for every bike. That would take a warehouse sized building just for the parts department. Plus you have to consider the cost of stocking such a parts department. Would you invest in a parts supply that you may not ever sell just so one of your customers wouldn't be disappointed when he came in to ask for some obscure part. Not good business sense.

Most good shops stock basic, commonly used parts. like rings, pistons, gaskets, for popular models. The parts that they don't stock can be ordered and delivered in usually just a couple of days. And they get their mark-up either way.

It is a good idea to find out who the parts manager is and befriend him/her. Usually the manager is a older person with a little bit of experience. Don't mess with the counter kids, go directly to the parts manager.

Also, buying hardware from your local hardware store or Home Depot is not a good idea. There is a reason the circlip only costs .30 cents. Your motorcycle uses special hardware that is hardened or heat treated (Grade 8 or better) to withstand the rigors of dirt riding. The hardware you buy from your local hardware store usually comes from China and does not have the proper strength for our applications.

Hey, but what the hell, you probably saved $ .50. :coocoo:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Service Honda (Powersports) usually has everything I order, if not it's shipped within a couple days.

I keep a stock of items I might need for my bikes on hand because I don't want to use the crap from a hardware store and I don't like to wait around for stuff that costs a few cents or a few bucks when I need it now.

Unless you have a good relationship with your local shop going in and asking for parts they might have laying around suggesting you would like to get them for free is laughable. Shops are in business to sell parts, parts make more for most shops than the off road bikes do! Most gas stations have LOTS of gasoline on hand but I still can't find any that give it away no matter how well I know the owner or employee. :laugh:

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
RM_guy said:
It's about how old you are. Man, you're freaking OLD!!!! :nener:

Yeah, but I still don't have bifocals! ;)

Careful on knocking those 12 year old two strokes. There's still a couple of crusty old crumudgeons that ride them in here.

What's this blue pill for?

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Barely-legal? Whatsat mean, she's only legal when she's bare? Or does it mean she "kinda" has a green card? I'm confused.

In come tacks

Feb 10, 2010
No, I agree with the old guy. The Yamaha dealer used to stock most parts and order a few. These days the cheap dealers don't want to manage the inventory, front the money, etc... all of that garble was from people who don't understand what service should be. These cycle mfgrs are spoiled as well. At first, they didn't know the tolerance of the American customer, and they would have parts and techs on hand to service your ride. We've taught them not to care. Kinda like commercials - there used to be a few an hour, then a few on the half hour. Now they've done studies to see how many till we lose interest entirely, and push that much time in commercials.

But yeah, I rebuilt a '78 Yamaha YZ125 back in '84, and they had everything IN STOCK except the clutch cable (and that was a tiny shop). The proof that they don't care anymore? Why don't they stock the generic crap we ask for all the time? Like bolt-on kickstands and other after-market stuff they could hawk. Instead, the employees sit and wait, hoping someone will buy a bike today.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well there's a way to make lots of dollars for those of you that happen to know how to do it better... or maybe not. :laugh: Funny how people have plenty of ideas how things SHOULD be but can never get the motivation to make it happen even though it seems like a sure thing in their mind.

Ask yourself this as well. Would you pay 1.5x to 2.0x at a walk in dealer that had the part on the shelf over what you could get the exact same part for from an Internet vendor? Most people would bitch that the walk in shop was over charging. Are they? They have it now, they have to inventory it, they have to keep it taking up space,...

Look I remember going to my local auto parts store and it was stacked to the sky with shelves of parts. Parts to fit my 1968 GTX or most any other car in town. It was handy but as the number of combination of parts needed for various combinations of power / drivetrain / etc... expanded they could not keep up, and this place was huge! Times change, what people expect changes and well us old times need to adapt or sit around and bitch about how it was better in the old days.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Back in the mid 90's, shops around here started really getting nailed, paying taxes on parts that sit on the shelf, didn't sell, pay again. Good shops still carry the bare essentials of what I need. Most, would have to order a half gallon of 927, or spark plugs! If I blow it up on the week end, get the parts order PHONED, or IN PERSON ordered, Monday morning, are in my hand by Wednesday. Thats the way it is, and has been for quite a while. I do remember, back in the day. BUT, to think back, a serious rebuild, all the calls with in an hour or so of Chicagoland, still left me ordering 1 part or another. The next time I go into Service Honda, I am going to ask Chris to get me a 24mm circlip, just to see the look on his face, wondering what drugs I am on, or what planet I have been on? Vintage Bob

RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
You have all missed my point ---- A 24MM CIRCLIP IS STANDARD ON ALOT OF BIKES !They would rather charge you than say "Dude, ya we have one of those laying around."

As for being old, perhaps, but remember your young little wives dig older guys as we know what you've not had time to learn ! haha !

I just remember when stores cared about the people that bought things from them. And when these "kids" woulda been fired for being idiots and not having any understanding of customer service. My first job I was told "the customer is always right and we do what we need to so the customer knows it."

Ultimately, so they come back in the future because they know we went the extra mile for them.

When was the last time you went to a store and the young kids (boy or girl) said "THANK YOU, PLEASE COME AGAIN"...... It's very rare !

By the way "barely legal" means just over 18 !

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
RoadDawg said:
You have all missed my point ---- A 24MM CIRCLIP IS STANDARD ON ALOT OF BIKES !They would rather charge you than say "Dude, ya we have one of those laying around."
yeah, maybe its standard, but I would not go in expecting the flat billed mouth breather behind the counter to know that.

I would expect him, however, to be able to find it in the book if I said "I need a circlip for the whickerbill on a 1973 Zundapp."

Now, maybe in a few years that kid will know that the 24mm cirlcip is standard. Hell, I'm 41, and I didn't.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
RoadDawg said:

No,actually you have missed the point. Shops don't have 24MM circlips just laying around. The one's they do have are in a box in the parts department with a OEM part number on it. They are not going to just give you one because you are such a nice guy, they have to account for and pay for every circlip in stock. Why the hell should they go out of their way to give you one. :coocoo: Are you really that cheap?

The mechanics in the back may have a private supply of (used) circlips and hardware at their work stations that they have taken out of bikes but, if you ask for one at the parts counter, you have to ask for it by application. That's like walking into a McDonalds and asking if they have any hamburgers laying around. :whoa: If you befriend a mechanic, you would have a better chance of getting a free circlip than bugging a parts guy for one.

Also, what kind of 24 MM circlip? Inside? Outside? what thickness? What kind of tabs? If they gave you the wrong circlip or a used one that broke and caused damage to your bike, would you be back here blaming the parts guy for giving you the wrong circlip and breaking your motorcycle? :nod:

I'm old enough to remember the old days too but the old days are gone forever. Get over it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ol'89r said:
Are you really that cheap?

Ol'89r said:
If they gave you the wrong circlip or a used one that broke and caused damage to your bike, would you be back here blaming the parts guy for giving you the wrong circlip and breaking your motorcycle?

I think the answer to both of those questions is a resounding YES!

Silly me I should have re-read the first post and pickup up on it right away.

RoadDawg said:
I went to a shop where I bought my 03 KDX...

RoadDawg

Jul 10, 2009
Ol'89r, You sound like exactly the kind of a**hole who owns a shop like this. I am not cheap, I'd would pay for the circlip.... As for what type, you let me worry about that!

I know what I'm looking for so don't get you little panties in a bunch.. You know it figures you express thoughts on poor business practices and some jerkoff like you who thinks he knows everything makes an A** out of himself.

Get over it? That's exactly what I expect from a jerkoff like you! Do us a favor and keep your stupid un-educated opinions to yourself in the future.. You are exactly what's wrong with the motorcycle industry today.. Small thinkers, I doubt your old enough to remember the olds days as you have the mentality of a snot nosed punk..

Oh and Patman, Your a moderator ! You moderate this forum and make ******* comments about the year of a guys bike.. Hmmm perhaps you should be dropped as a moderator. I thought the year of your bike didn't really matter, but it's kinda obvious you have the same tiny mentality as 89r... What a shame ! I guess this forum is run by assholes....!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
RoadDawg said:
Ol'89r,
Get over it? That's exactly what I expect from a jerkoff like you! Do us a favor and keep your stupid un-educated opinions to yourself in the future.. I doubt your old enough to remember the olds days as you have the mentality of a snot nosed punk....!

You might be surprised. :nod:

Thank you for your kind words. :laugh: :rotfl: :nener:

Hey! This is starting to get good. ;)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
RoadDawg said:
Get over it? That's exactly what I expect from a jerkoff like you! Do us a favor and keep your stupid un-educated opinions to yourself in the future.. You are exactly what's wrong with the motorcycle industry today.. Small thinkers, I doubt your old enough to remember the olds days as you have the mentality of a snot nosed punk..

Based on the tiny glimpse of your personality that has been revealed in this thread it seems pretty clear to me why you might have gotten the treatment you did.

FYI, Ol89r isn't a clever nickname someone made up, it represents the AMA National Number he carried as a real live honest to god make your living that way dirt track racer. Only a tiny handful of people on the planet have ever achieved the rare distinction of carring a 2 digit National number and unlike most racers he was also skilled enough to work as a factory mechanic. While he might be old he is still a scary fast rider and an active racer at Bonneville. He has more real life motorcycle industry experience than the next ten of us combined. Plus in a "what's in it for ME world" he is one of those rare individuals who has spent countless hours giving back to the sport he cares so much about, both here on DRN as well as in his day to day life.

I realize that doosn't hold a candle to a weekend warrior on a KDX who uses the internet to complain about trivial nonsense but you should still show a little more respect for your elders (and I'll hazzard a guess and say your "BETTER").

All that aside, had you bothered to read the advice he posted you would realize he gave you a time honored approach to getting things accomplished at a dealership. The simple act of buying a mechanic lunch, or something similar can open a lot of useful doors. The guys in back are the gateway to all that is useful at a dealership. Expecting a kid at a counter who only knows how to type simple things into the Lightspeed software to have answers to anything is short sighted at best.

You are right about one thing though, this place is moderated by assholes who long ago lost patience for your type of behavior. I'll make it as simple as I can for you to understand. If you can't post without swearing and name calling you'll get to see how truly assholish we can be as we show you the door. I have enough miles under my belt to be better at this game than most. ;)

One warning is all you get, it's your call from here on out.

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
RoadDawg said:
:blah: :blah: :blah:
:rotfl:

I was referring to it being a KDX not and '03. My bike is a '99 and my son has an '01 so it's not a year thing. And really it's not a KDX thing except that it sort of is a trait of that type of bike owner. :) (so is being a hot head)

'89er is a Mod as well. Throwing us in the same basket is a compliment as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe the site is run by people that don't tolorate your type of crap and that is why you got your fur all up on end. No matter we'll let you cool your heals for a bit until you can come back and play by the rules that you clicked right past when you signed up.

Oh and as Rich pointed out you have not seen even a blink of an eye what it CAN be like around here. As an added bonus I cut my teeth in the flame forum so if you want to play I'd suggest you gear up cause you done poked a couple of big gorillas in the monkey house.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
RoadDawg said:
some jerkoff like you who thinks he knows everything makes an A** out of himself.

89'er is not the one making an A** out of himself.

He clearly explained the business side of things.

There is a shop I go to in SC and they let me look through their parts bins in the back for any misc nut, bolt, circlip, wire, etc that I want.

But I built a relationship with them over the years and when I walk in they call me by name from across the shop no matter if it has been 6 hours since they have seen me last or 18 months. I'm just a slow guy who spends money here and there but they try to get to know all their return customers and provide excellent service!

When I walk in to their Gas Gas and Husky dealership I ask for my Yamaha parts and sometimes they have them and sometimes they don't. They know their customers and what is most commonly going to be needed whether or not it is part of the line they sell. In the event they don't have it they can get it in just a few days.

In the event they are unsure of what I want we look through the parts book together and make sure I am comfortable with what they order (like which hotcam I wanted).

And their parts manager knows more about bikes than most people period. They have helped riders from Randy Hawkins to Scott Summers (and Scott wrote a letter in Cycle News talking about them and how great they are).

What I'm getting at is they are a GREAT shop and based on what you have posted if you would walk in there I doubt they would be able to help you either to your satisfaction.

Ivan

Top Bottom