SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
A vestige of the WR

I believe, that needs to pass a sound check in a certain gear.
In that gear your grey wire kicks in and remaps the ignition for less sound.
Conjecture on my part, but you can buy plugs to cap off the sender and have no ill effects...

Douglas

Nov 29, 2000
SFO.........

No gray wire, Canada bike.......I checked the wiring diagram on both YZ's and WR's, and the only relevant wire is S/B (Skyblue), which feeds back to the CDI. I got some interesting theories over on Thumper Talk.......
No big deal, but I still wonder why all the engineering over something that can be removed (?) without noticeable effect? It must do something?!

Thanks........Doug

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
Ah-Ha...a TT'r in disguise!

I believe that interesting theories is all we'll get until a design engineer from yamaha pops up and sets us right!

moto614

Nov 7, 2001
my yz426 seems to idle lower when i put it in neutral, maybe the switch changes the ignition timing or advance some how when the bike is in neutral?????

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
I'll throw my theory into the hat on what the neutral switch does. I think that it probably changes the rev limiter point to a lower rev point, since the engine would not be under load in neutral. Just a guess.

G

GregMash

I believe after talking to the service dept at Yamaha...the Neutral Switch Assembly prevents the bike from hitting the standard rev limiter while in Neutral..making the rev limiter kick in in at around 7000rpm...thus helping prevent engine damage.

Top Bottom